Open port for SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• When we say you need to open port for SQL Server what exactly we mean. Say I have a SQL Server 2008  running on port number 43567 in  system  70.567.46.90 and I want to access this SQL Server from a different system 70.567.46.86 (both of these have Windows  2008).

I can ping 70.567.46.86 from 70.567.46.90.Now to access the sql server I have asked the admin guy to open a port for SQL Server.Could somebody give me some more details on what action would be taken to open a port so that I can access SQL Server in 70.567.46.90 from
    the system 70.567.46.86.

Many thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Zainu

Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:15 AM

Answers

• Hello Zainu,

If you open SQL Server Configuration Manager, click on SQL Server Services, and verify SQL Server service is running. If the status is running then the port is open.

SQL Server Configuration gives you the Process ID used by SQL Server service. Using “netstat –aon” on the Command Prompt you can use that Process Id (PID)  to see the port and the state (“listening”).  Port number should be 1433 for a default instance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 15, 2010 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think the following article has all you need:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Thanks Alberto.This is when you hav firewall enabled.

Could you please let me know if firewall is not enabled in the machine which hosts database server then how to open port.And whats steps are taken to open a port so that application can pass request to SQL Server.

Many thanks in advance.
    Regard,
    Zainu
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Hello Zainu,

If you open SQL Server Configuration Manager, click on SQL Server Services, and verify SQL Server service is running. If the status is running then the port is open.

SQL Server Configuration gives you the Process ID used by SQL Server service. Using “netstat –aon” on the Command Prompt you can use that Process Id (PID)  to see the port and the state (“listening”).  Port number should be 1433 for a default instance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 15, 2010 2:14 AM
  • The port number that SQL Server is listening is also printed in the SQL Server Log when the instance starts up, so you can find the port number in there too.
    Gethyn Ellis blog: http://blog.gre-sqlserver-solutions.com/
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:49 PM