none
MS Project 2010 - Highlighting Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm the IT support guy for a business that includes a number of MS Project 2010 users.  I don't actually use the software myself, so have limited understanding in regards to functionality of the software.

However, a number of my users have come to me with a problem that they seem to think is a bug.

It's in regards to a Project file with a number of highlighted lines.  When they open the Project, and attempt to highlight a new line, all the previously highlighted lines become un-highlighted.  I've had a play around with the file, but as I'm not a Project user I'm unsure if we're dealing with a genuine error or it's a functionality or process issue.

Is anybody able to advise?  If you need specific information, I can get this from the users.

Thanks,

Ed.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:53 AM

Answers

• Some formatting issues, were supposedly were fixed by installing SP1. Do you have that installed? If not, go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, download and install it. If you already have SP1 installed, check if file have any inserted graphics or links that tend to bloat a file?

Also, when you highlight a row each cells get formatted, there is a limit to maximum of individual cells that can be formatted. Instead you could try the following: insert the column "Marked". Instead of now changing the formatting for individual cells/tasks, for those set Marked to Yes then in Text Styles (on the Format ribbon) set a background for "Marked Taks".

Formatting is saved with the View so when you change views you may no longer see the formatting. So, check for the views.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:41 AM

All replies

• Are you also using project server?

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

No we're not.  They are saving their work to a shared network drive.

Ed.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Some formatting issues, were supposedly were fixed by installing SP1. Do you have that installed? If not, go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, download and install it. If you already have SP1 installed, check if file have any inserted graphics or links that tend to bloat a file?

Also, when you highlight a row each cells get formatted, there is a limit to maximum of individual cells that can be formatted. Instead you could try the following: insert the column "Marked". Instead of now changing the formatting for individual cells/tasks, for those set Marked to Yes then in Text Styles (on the Format ribbon) set a background for "Marked Taks".

Formatting is saved with the View so when you change views you may no longer see the formatting. So, check for the views.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I'll check through those points and let you know of the outcome.

Regards,

Ed.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Thanks ED, please let us know the outcome.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 6:52 PM