Removing Run on Start Menu for Users on RDS Server 2008 R2 but not Admin Account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am in the process of setting up a RDS Server 2008 R2 in a workgroup environment. I need to remove the Run menu on the start menu of all Users RDCing to Hosted Desktop so that it will be only the Administrator that will have access to the Run start menu?

I enabled the following policy found on the User Configuration->Administrative Template->Start menu and task bar->Remove Run menu from the start menu and this disabled the Run menu even for the administrator account. The other policy on ->System->Prevent acces to the command prompt also stops the administrator access to the cmd.

How do I disable this only for the users but not for the administrator?

Any help in any way will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, you may have no way to achieve this goal in WORKGROUP environment.

To achieve this goal, an easy way is to create a DOMAIN environment, create two OUs for both Domain Admins and Non-Domain Admins. After that, you may create a GPO to disable the Run box and link this GPO to the Non-Domain Admins OU only.

In addition, you may also use Security Filtering to refine which users and computers will receive and apply the settings in a Group Policy object (GPO). For the detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Security filtering using GPMC

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781988(v=WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:36 AM