none
BIC - Connection problem while opening the reports in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We have setup Project Server 2010 in our Development environment and everything looks fine and is working. Only when I try to open e.g. the "SimpleProjectList" report from the Business Intelligence Center in Excel I got the following error.

"Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication"

The server (1 Web server and 1 DB server) are in the Domain domaindev. I connect from my local machine to the instance.

The report is working fine in the browser.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Joerg

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Hasjoe,

If you open the report in Excel Services using your browser, the account specified in the secure store is used. If you open the report using Excel, your account is used. That's why the report opens fine in your browser (I assume the account used in the secure store is also in the domaindev domain).

I assume you are connecting from a different domain to the server which is in the 'domaindev' domain? Did you create a trust between the dev and the regular domain?
    Have you tried using a 'domaindev' user to open the report in Excel? That should work (given that all other configuration is done correctly). In addition, make sure you have added your account to the group you use for the 'Report Authors' and make sure the report authors group has the correct permissions.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:29 AM

All replies

• Check if you have in your IE enable in miscellaneous section Access data source across domains, and check for your Excel the Security config, and trsuted weobs.
    Raymundo Chapa, MCTS
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Hi Hasjoe,

If you open the report in Excel Services using your browser, the account specified in the secure store is used. If you open the report using Excel, your account is used. That's why the report opens fine in your browser (I assume the account used in the secure store is also in the domaindev domain).

I assume you are connecting from a different domain to the server which is in the 'domaindev' domain? Did you create a trust between the dev and the regular domain?
    Have you tried using a 'domaindev' user to open the report in Excel? That should work (given that all other configuration is done correctly). In addition, make sure you have added your account to the group you use for the 'Report Authors' and make sure the report authors group has the correct permissions.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:29 AM