none
Best Practices for guest application backup with DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there! I'm trying to hammer out a backup strategy for our soon-to-be-live server farm and have run into a bit of a grey area. First a bit about what we're running:

• Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Cluster using CSVs on an EqualLogic iSCSI SAN
    • DPM 2010 (Physical)
    • Exchange 2010 DAG (virtual). Each MBX database is on an iSCSI volume
    • SQL 2008 (Virtual). DB/Logs are on an iSCSI volume
    Since DPM offers some pretty fancy backup options for DAGs and SQL, we definitely want to have the agent installed on the guests. The question I have is how best to back up the rest of the VMs running applications? Is it best to just back up the rest of them using the agent installed in the guest, or via the Back up using Child Partition option like the rest of our VMs?
    • Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:36 PM This is specific to DPM (From:Hyper-V)
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:26 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

With DPM, I typically take a strategy of backing up all VMs completely, as well as running individual application backups for SQL, file services, Exchange, Active Directory, and SharePoint.  This provides me the capability to recover entire VMs, as well as individual application components.

Here is a post you might find helpful on DPM that I wrote:

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/back-me-up-im-going-in-hyper-v-and-backup/

Nathan Lasnoski

http://blog.concurrency.com/author/nlasnoski/
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:10 PM
  • As far as file data is concerned you're correct in that ILR should cover most anything that you'd ever run into there but as far as active directory this might not be the case and as a best practice I'd suggest a guest level system state backup of your virtualized domain controllers.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Whether you want to do the backup in the guest, on the host or a mix of both is a matter of taste and how you see your needs for restore in case of a failure.

For servers where you need granular recovery (SQL, Exchange) I see backup from within the guest as the only viable solution, but for servers needing a simple bare metal recovery option doing backups on the host/storage level may be the right solution. With some guest operating systems this will also be your only solution. There is no rule saying you can't or shouldn't mix the two options.

You'll find some good articles regarding DPM (and many other subjects) on Aidan's blog here.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi.

I would recommend you to use the guest agent for the remaning applications on your vms as well, and not mixing it with the agent on your host.

Kristian
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the response! Have you been able to find any documentation to this effect? I've been looking but haven't had any luck.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Whether you want to do the backup in the guest, on the host or a mix of both is a matter of taste and how you see your needs for restore in case of a failure.

For servers where you need granular recovery (SQL, Exchange) I see backup from within the guest as the only viable solution, but for servers needing a simple bare metal recovery option doing backups on the host/storage level may be the right solution. With some guest operating systems this will also be your only solution. There is no rule saying you can't or shouldn't mix the two options.

You'll find some good articles regarding DPM (and many other subjects) on Aidan's blog here.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Hello,

With DPM, I typically take a strategy of backing up all VMs completely, as well as running individual application backups for SQL, file services, Exchange, Active Directory, and SharePoint.  This provides me the capability to recover entire VMs, as well as individual application components.

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/back-me-up-im-going-in-hyper-v-and-backup/

Nathan Lasnoski

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Brilliant article.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Hello,

Nathan Lasnoski

That was the method I was leaning towards. You mention AD and File Services; As far as the file services go, with the ILR in DPM 2010, is this necessary? And with AD, wouldn't I be OK with the child snapshot method as well?
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:04 PM
  • As far as file data is concerned you're correct in that ILR should cover most anything that you'd ever run into there but as far as active directory this might not be the case and as a best practice I'd suggest a guest level system state backup of your virtualized domain controllers.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Ahh, gotcha. I was unclear as to whether the guest-level backup accomplished this or not. Cheers and thanks!
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:54 PM