none
Public Folder and Online Archive Retention

Question

• Hello,

I have setup a retention policy for the normal mailboxes which hopefully I have done everything correctly. I have setup the tags and the policy and applied the tags to the policy and also setup the ManagedFolderAssistantSchedule attribute. 

What do I now need to do for Online Archives as I cant seem to see anything for it or is it part of the normal policy? 

Also public folders I have read this: This 

Which states: 

Deleted item retention

Use database retention defaults   Select this check box to use the public folder database item retention limits on which this public folder resides. If you clear this check box, the Retain deleted items for (days) check box is made available.

Retain deleted items for (days)   Select this check box to set the number of days that deleted items are retained in a public folder. You can enter a value between 0 and 24,855 days.

Age limits

Use database age defaults   Select this check box to use the public folder database age limits on which this public folder resides. If you clear this check box, the Age limit for replicas (days) check box is made available.

Age limit for replicas (days)   Select this check box to limit the age of the public folder. Use the corresponding text box to specify the age limit in days. Replicas of this public folder are automatically deleted when the age limit is exceeded. You can enter a value between 0 and 24,855 days.

And I am wondering if I set the Age Limits on the databases for 3 years this would mean that any content within all public folders will be removed which is over 3 years old as this is what I am wanting? 

Thanks

James

Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi James,

Detail see : Managed Folder Assistant

The Managed Folder Assistant is a throttle-based assistant. Throttle-based assistants are always running and don't need to be scheduled. The system resources they can consume are throttled. You can configure the Managed Folder Assistant to process all mailboxes on a Mailbox server within a certain period (known as a work cycle). Additionally, at a specified interval (known as the work cycle checkpoint), the assistant refreshes the list of mailboxes to be processed. During the refresh, the assistant adds newly created or moved mailboxes to the queue. It also reprioritizes existing mailboxes that haven't been processed successfully due to failures and moves them higher in the queue so they can be processed during the same work cycle.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by SMBC4100 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:57 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 9:41 AM

All replies

• The online archive mailbox by default resides in the same mailbox database as the primary mailbox and is subject to the same policies.

You might get a better answer to your question if you share what it is you're trying to achieve instead of what it is you've set.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:15 PM
  • Thanks.

That answers one question for me. 

I am implementing a retention policy for 3 years across Archives, Mailboxes and Public Folders. 

I am now only after clarification on the Public Folders and then I know what I am doing when I implement in a few weeks. 

I have also setup the policy on both mine and my managers mailboxes to test but it doesn't appear to be doing very much and I am unsure as to why. 

EventID's 10027,9017, 9018 seem to suggest that its working they are saying: 

Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Calendar Sync Assistant for database DATABASENAME reached a work cycle checkpoint (Duration: 00:00:02.5155445, Database Completely Healthy During Work Cycle: Yes). 1 mailboxes were successfully processed. 0 mailboxes were skipped due to errors. 0 mailboxes were processed separately. There are 0 mailboxes remaining on this database which will be processed during the next work cycles.

Also this: 

Statistics of MRM expiration at end of this work cycle:
      TotalItemsSoftDeleted:  0 
      TotalItemsPermanentlyDeleted:  80561 
      TotalItemsMoved:  1 
      TotalSizeItemsSoftDeleted:  0 Bytes 
      TotalSizeItemsPermanentlyDeleted:  9238791607 Bytes 
      TotalSizeItemsMoved:  138 Bytes 
      TotalItemsWithPersonalTag:  0 
      TotalItemsWithDefaultTag:  0 
      TotalItemsWithSystemCleanupTag:  0 
      TotalItemsExpiredByDefaultExpiryTag:  0 
      TotalItemsExpiredByPersonalExpiryTag:  0 
    TotalItemsMovedByDefaultArchiveTag:  0 
    TotalItemsMovedByPersonalArchiveTag:  0 

I can see some of the events out of hours (when I have scheduled the Managed Folder Assistant to run and others during the day. So I am unsure if my policies are even running correctly or at all or at the correct times? 

Thanks

James

• Edited by SMBC4100 Friday, May 18, 2018 11:51 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 11:02 AM
  • Thanks.

That answers one question for me. 

I am implementing a retention policy for 3 years across Archives, Mailboxes and Public Folders. 

I am now only after clarification on the Public Folders and then I know what I am doing when I impliment in a few weeks. 

Thanks

James

You cant apply retention policies to public folders

Friday, May 18, 2018 11:05 AM
  • Thank you. 

What is the Age Limit for? I thought this sounded like the public folder version of a retention policy?

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Thank you. 

What is the Age Limit for? I thought this sounded like the public folder version of a retention policy?

That actually perm removes items and from what I have seen. makes them unrecoverable. I suppose that is a for am a retention policy in a way!
    Friday, May 18, 2018 5:47 PM
  • What do you mean by "retention policy"?  Normally retention policy is enforced through Mailbox Records Management, i.e., retention tags and policies.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, May 18, 2018 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the clarification on the Age Limit. I presume if I were to set that it would run with the other retention policy settings? and it only removes contents opposed to the public folder itself?

Yes I am doing it the normal way I have tags and policies setup. 

I am wondering though: 

I have the ManagedFolderAssistantSchedule running Mon-Thur 1am-3:45am which I believe applies the tags to the mail, and sets expiry dates.

The ManagedFolderWorkCycle is set to every day which I believe performs the actual action of the mail (delete, archive etc). Do you know when this actually runs as in what times? 

What I am trying to understand is I have the tags being pushed out Mon-Thurs (if I am correct in what I have read) and then the actual deletion happens every day but I just need to know when if it is possible to find this out or schedule it? 

Thanks

James

• Edited by SMBC4100 Monday, May 21, 2018 7:55 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi James,

Detail see : Managed Folder Assistant

The Managed Folder Assistant is a throttle-based assistant. Throttle-based assistants are always running and don't need to be scheduled. The system resources they can consume are throttled. You can configure the Managed Folder Assistant to process all mailboxes on a Mailbox server within a certain period (known as a work cycle). Additionally, at a specified interval (known as the work cycle checkpoint), the assistant refreshes the list of mailboxes to be processed. During the refresh, the assistant adds newly created or moved mailboxes to the queue. It also reprioritizes existing mailboxes that haven't been processed successfully due to failures and moves them higher in the queue so they can be processed during the same work cycle.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by SMBC4100 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:57 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 9:41 AM