[App-V 5] Slow creation of Placeholder files on Profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

A question. We are using a Full Infrastructure Model of App-V 5. So there is one Management Server and two Publishing Servers in our environment available. We have also installed the App-V 5.0 client on our RDS 2008 R2 servers. Everything is working OK, sequences are succesfully added to the App-V 5 client cache and users can succesfully launch the applications.

Now, one big problem that we see is that App-V 5 is slow for some applications, this because of the placeholder file structure. We have an application in our environment with 22.000 files, we can succesfully sequence this application and it does work OK, but publishing this application to the user takes forever. The application takes around 2 minutes before it becomes available to the user when he logs on onto the RDS environment.

The problem is that all the placeholder files (the 4 KB files) are recreated in the Local Appdata folder for the user when the user logs in onto the RDS server. I find this strange, because all files are also available in the Package Root Folder. In App-V 4.6 this wasn't an issue, because every application points somewhere into the FSD file. Besides all the Disk I/O this will take to recreate the 22000 placeholder files for every user that logs in, is there a better way of doing this? Or is there something else possible onto the client, which I don't know? Keep in mind that I want to use the central management of App-V 5 using the Management Console for adding, distribution and publishing of the application.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards, 

Monday, March 11, 2013 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This behavior would probably be expected, there are two ways to look at it;

Enable to roam the localappdata folder using a 3-party tool

Open a case with Microsoft and have them address the issue

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hi Znack,

Thanks for the reply. But unfortunately I cannot roam the Local Appdata folder using a Third Party tool. I have tried it, but then that 3-rd party tool stops responding when it tries to export these App-V 5 profile files. The profile management application doesn't work with these type of files.

I was also afraid that this application works likes this, also it will generate much Disk IO during peak hours off the day.

Best Regards,

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:11 PM
    • Are you using Shared Content Store?
    • Have you considered adding the application and caching the package before users log onto the server?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:17 PM
  • We are using a Shared Content Store. I have tested on a RDS  server first with the Shared Content store setting enabled for App-V 5, afterwards I have mounted the sequence on the App-V 5 client. Conclusion is that we didn't notice any difference in creation time. It was around the 1.45 minutes in both cases, before it was available to the end user. So mounting the application or using the Shared Content Store mode gave me no noticeable difference.

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:25 PM