none
Applying the Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

Question

• Hi,

My new windows 2012 r2 servers are not getting updates from my wsus server. I have install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734608 on the wsus server. I have download and the Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 from here -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36991  and placed them in my DC sysvol polices. 

I have a servers gpo that I am using for my Windows 2008 servers. I am building out new Windows 2012 servers.

My question is do I need to create a new gpo and apply the setting from the Windows 2008 servers gpo to the new Windows 2012 one or does the new admin templates automatically apply to the existing gpo's?

thanks!

Wave~Chaser

Monday, March 02, 2015 11:48 PM

Answers

• there's nothing you need to do they will apply, all you are effectively doing is updating your central store, if you need to add something included in the new admx go ahead if not your all set
    • Edited by AlexAdkin Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by WaveChaser Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:12 PM
  • > there's nothing you need to do they will apply, all you are effectively
    > doing is updating your central store, if you need to add something
    > included in the new admx go ahead if not your all set

Just a short comment on "applying ADMX templates": These ADMX templates
    have no relation to policy processing. They are only used when EDITING
    GPOs or when running a RSoP report. So they do not really "apply" to
    anything :)

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:52 AM

All replies

• to add to that I did notice when I click on my current gpo setting it says " Policy definitions (ADMX files ) retrieved from the Central store" It makes me think it is updated automatically per this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYb2wQeL94  ??

Wave~Chaser

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 12:07 AM
  • The admin templates still apply to the 2012 servers assuming they are targeted correctly. There will be new stuff in the 2012 templates however, your using a central store its a manual process to update but gets replicated round your DC's remember your policies live in sysvol and AD so the templates can be safely updated in the central store
    Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Below are my gpo's for my servers (they are 2003 and 2008 server it is just labeled wrong)

Then I added the Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and placed them on my DC's sysvol policies folder.  

My question is after I placed the  Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 into my DC's sysvol policies folder is there any thing I need to do to apply them to my current GPOS in the image or do I need to build out new GPO's and reconfigure them?

Wave~Chaser

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:09 PM
  • there's nothing you need to do they will apply, all you are effectively doing is updating your central store, if you need to add something included in the new admx go ahead if not your all set
    • Edited by AlexAdkin Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by WaveChaser Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:12 PM
  • awesome thanks so just adding the templates to the central store they get applied cool!

Wave~Chaser

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:13 PM
  • > there's nothing you need to do they will apply, all you are effectively
    > doing is updating your central store, if you need to add something
    > included in the new admx go ahead if not your all set

Just a short comment on "applying ADMX templates": These ADMX templates
    have no relation to policy processing. They are only used when EDITING
    GPOs or when running a RSoP report. So they do not really "apply" to
    anything :)

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:52 AM