Crash on entering sleep mode RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Business SP1 v.688 installed on a new Toshiba laptop with an Intel U1400 1.2GHz and 1GB RAM.

The laptop works fine except every few days it crashes on entering the sleep state either when I close the lid or select sleep. It does not seem to be related to the number of times I enter sleep, rather a period since last boot.

The laptop has a HD activity LED and on initiating the sleep process this typically flickers for 30-90 seconds before a pause and a click as the sound card is disabled. At this point, one of two things happens: a final flicker of the LED before the machine goes quite; or the LED stays on but I can’t hear any HD activity. In both cases, the CPU fan eventually revs up to full speed and the only way to stop it is to power down. As the screen is off, I cannot see any error messages.

I have checked that all the drivers installed are signed using the built in utility. Any ideas? Is there someway of logging activity on entering sleep mode to see where the problem is occuring? The event logs list nothing, they only record the restart with entries regading recovery from bad shutdown.

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:22 AM

Answers

• I found i could stop the machine crashing by disabling the wireless lan driver. Toshiba has released an OEM version of the intel v11.5.0.32 driver on their EU website at:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads

Installing this has stopped my machine from crashing with SP1 RC1 so far.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based my experience dealing with sleep mode issues. Most of these problems are caused by incorrect drivers for motherboard/BIOS or hardware confliction.

Generally, we can watch the event log via event viewer (Event Viewer – Windows Logs – System - Power-Troubleshooter event). If the log cannot show useful information, I suspect it to be a chipset power management issue. Please contact Toshiba and report this problem, to see if it is a known problem.

If the event viewer shows something, I’d love to assist you with further troubleshooting via that information.

Besides, I recommend you to perform a clean boot to exclude factors from 3rd party services or applications:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

To reduce the frequency that the crash occurs, you may also switch the mode from S3 to S1 in BIOS – Power Management, if possible.

For your reference, if this problem occurs only on Windows Vista SP1 rather than Windows Vista. Please use the following subqueue in our forum, which is focusing on Windows Vista SP1 issues:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1992&SiteID=17

I hope the issue can be fixed soon!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:26 AM
  •  Are you using hybrid sleep?

I have seen this symptom ( or pretty similar)  only recently on my machine.

I use hibernate.

I thought the machine was hung. On a hunch, I let it run for a while, after about 10 or 15 minutes. it shut off normally.

Next hibernate had a shorter delay, and after that it hibernates normally again.

Bizarre ? no, Vista !

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Hi, do you have a laptop or a desktop?
    Only laptop, the system fan revs up to full speed and Toshiba says that the machine has hung. I once left it running for around 20mins but it eventually reset it self at the HW level and machine switched off. When I powered on again, windwos rebooted but with the safe screen after not shuting down properly before...
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:28 AM
  • Seem to have solved the problem for the moment by disabling the "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" driver in device manager.

This driver is the latest by Intel v.11.5.0.32 but does not seem to be SP1 RC compatible???

When I disable the driver in device manager, the machine freezes almost immediately but when I cycle the power the machine works fine.. only I dont have wireless lan!

Well, it all worked very nicely with XP Pro SP2..

Friday, January 18, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your update!

According to your description, I think this issue should be caused by the confliction between power management and the wireless network adapter driver.

Please contact Toshiba to report this issue and help them modify this driver. Thanks!

If I misunderstood your concern, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:42 AM
  • I found i could stop the machine crashing by disabling the wireless lan driver. Toshiba has released an OEM version of the intel v11.5.0.32 driver on their EU website at:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads

Installing this has stopped my machine from crashing with SP1 RC1 so far.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:24 AM