Dashboard Page Template Limitation RRS feed

• Question

• It does not seem possible to add (via Dashboard Studio) more than 6 vertical sections to a page template.  This seems to be an artificial limit placed by the UI.  We have worked around it by manually executing the BuilderService ‘AddTemplate’ web service method.  One side effect is when you use the Dashboard Studio UI to edit the template created via the web service you get an unhandled expection.  Will this be fixed in an upcoming patch?  Has anyone else worked around this?

Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hello again Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.  It appears that adding more than 6 sections is a UI limitation.  However, the Dashboard Developer's kit specifies the number of groups in which a person can add is unlimited.  While Proclarity likely will not consider this scenario for a fix (being that it only occurs if using customizations) I certainly can look into the situation for you.  I need to know exaclty what specifications were made upon implementing the BuilderService webservice.  Also, where did you obtain the Dashboard Developer's Kit?  I wonder if the code you're using is failing because it's an older version?  If you'd like I can test the scenario if you supply your current Dashboard Developer's Kit along with the steps you used to implement the solution.  

Thanks,

Amanda

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

When you stated that it does not seem possible, what exactly happens to lead you to this conclusion?  Do you receive an error message; do the new Groups simply not appear after adding them into a Page Template and applying it to a Dashboard view?  To answer your question, I highly doubt an error of this nature would be remedied in an upcoming patch.  However, if you'd like to supply a bit more information regarding why you cannot add 6+ vertical selections within the Studio's Template Editor I'd be happy to see what I can find out.

Thanks and regards,

Amanda Ruffner

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Hi Amanda,

When you click the "Add Section" button on the edit template window once you have 6 sections and continue to add more sections, they do not appear on the UI.  We have been able to call the BuilderService webservice to add these templates, but when we go to retrieve them via Dashboard Studio we receive the following exception:

Error 5175
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.TemplatePreview.ParseGroupTemplateXml(String templateXml)
       at ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.TemplatePreview.DrawGroupTemplatePreview(String templateXml)
       at ProClarity.Dashboard.Builder.TemplateDialog.trvTemplates_AfterSelect(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Hello again Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.  It appears that adding more than 6 sections is a UI limitation.  However, the Dashboard Developer's kit specifies the number of groups in which a person can add is unlimited.  While Proclarity likely will not consider this scenario for a fix (being that it only occurs if using customizations) I certainly can look into the situation for you.  I need to know exaclty what specifications were made upon implementing the BuilderService webservice.  Also, where did you obtain the Dashboard Developer's Kit?  I wonder if the code you're using is failing because it's an older version?  If you'd like I can test the scenario if you supply your current Dashboard Developer's Kit along with the steps you used to implement the solution.  

Thanks,

Amanda

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:27 PM