memory dump RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i dont know much about computors - this is my first one . My problem is - everytime i turn the computor off it wipes all the memory, documents, movies, settings etc. Any advice?
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Your user profile may be corrupt. In this case, every time when your log on, the profile is actually a temporary profile. To resolve this issue, please create a new profile and use it.

Create a New Windows Account

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Manage another account If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type (Administrator), and then click Create Account.

Create a user account

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/68a1c4fd-b3f6-4cb9-93a1-8a6023836e531033.mspx#E1D

You may transfer the data from your old profile to the new profile

1. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

4. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your user profile may be corrupt. In this case, every time when your log on, the profile is actually a temporary profile. To resolve this issue, please create a new profile and use it.

Create a New Windows Account

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Manage another account If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type (Administrator), and then click Create Account.

Create a user account

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/68a1c4fd-b3f6-4cb9-93a1-8a6023836e531033.mspx#E1D

You may transfer the data from your old profile to the new profile

1. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

4. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:41 AM
  • Many thanks for the help. One question, how do I know that it will save my new profile?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Another question. I haven't managed to copy old profile to new user profile. Do I have to set up a new folder or should there be one already? And how do I copy the files and folders from one to the other?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:53 PM
  •  Hi,

Just need to copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder. To copy all files, we can press Ctrl+A, and then Ctrl+C in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder. After that, navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder, click Ctrl+V. Replace them with the new files.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:30 AM