none
My windows 10 computer does not see some of the computers on the net

Question

• I have a windows 10 desktop.

It does not see 5 of about 20 computers on the net.

The computers that it does not see, can see it.

All computers are hard wired Ethernet.

Some computers are W10 some W7 some older.

The computers it can not see are all W10.

Sunday, February 04, 2018 10:25 PM

All replies

• Turn off Firewall and security application temporarily.

Make sure that Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host services are running. Manually run them if they are not running.

Now check the following settings:

Click Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet > Change advanced sharing options > Turn on network discovery > Turn on file and printer sharing 

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, February 05, 2018 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

Verify SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is installed from Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off.
      Also, Please let me know if this computer is clean installed or upgrade from other version. and what about other 5 Windows 10 computers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Moerdur Monday, February 05, 2018 1:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Moerdur Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:37 AM
    Monday, February 05, 2018 8:52 AM
  • If network discovery would have been off I would not have seen any computer.

Network discovery is on and I do not see 5 of 20 computers

Monday, February 05, 2018 11:54 AM
  • It was a clean install.

Once upon a time it did see all computers. Than it stopped seeing the five. I can ping the five computers it does not see, both on their ip address and name. I can attach or work on those computers with remote desktop. It is File Explorer that does not see those computers.

All computers it does not see are clean installs. Some of the w10 computers it does see are upgrades from w7.

It sees all computers that are still w7 and the W95 and NT4.0 and W2K computer (3 industrial computers running machine tools, no possibility to change the operating system).

We do not use a domain but a workgroup.

I will have a look at the SMB later the computer is in use now.

Monday, February 05, 2018 12:12 PM
  • Enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS did work the computer does see now all other computers.
    Monday, February 05, 2018 1:48 PM
  •   That is correct. SMB 1.0 is disabled by default in Window 10 version 1709 (and all future releases) because of its security risks. I suspect it will be removed altogether at some point.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

All supported Windows operating systems (from Vista on) use the new network discovery method and do not require it. If you still have older Windows systems or third party CIFS/Samba shares you require SMB 1.0 on Windows 10 to see these older systems.

Bill

Tuesday, February 06, 2018 12:49 AM
  • I added SMB and it worked for a few days.

Today I have again the problem that the computer W10 does not see one computer W10 on the net and another computer does no see it either, both did do OK yesterday.

People should stop answering with explaining how to turn file and printer sharing, that is not the problem or allowing network discovery. It is not about seeing all or nothing, file and printer sharing is on, network discovery is on and you do see most of the other computers.

The other computers do see you. You can ping each other. You can run remote control and other things, but file explorer does not show those single computers.

There is a mix of w10 upgrade and new installed, W7 and w2K, NT4 and W95. The computer two computers can not see is W10 new installed. As it is all computers but 2 do see the one W10.

Both computers that do not see the one computer are new installs.

Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:18 AM
  • So why does the new network discovery not work sometimes on single computers showing you only part of the computers that are on the same net?
    Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:20 AM
  • So why does the new network discovery not work sometimes on single computers showing you only part of the computers that are on the same net?

Some times it can be a DHCP issue 

Have you try this fix : settings > update & security > troubleshoot > below find and fix other problem > click on network adapter then follow the process. (choose your network adapter)

Momominta

Friday, February 09, 2018 5:59 PM
  •   The basic problem is that you are using two different systems. XP and older use the old NetBIOS name SMB1 datagram method (which depends on the computer browser service). Vista and newer systems use network discovery which depends on the discovery protocols and IPv6 and builds a different list. On a machine which uses both systems you will usually see the network discovery machines appear first, then the ones from the NetBIOS browse list later.

For a current Windows 10 PC to see the older machines (and be seen by them), you have to make it look like an old machine. That means not only enabling SMB 1.0 but also NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

As a test, run a net view command on the Windows 10 machine. If this fails or the list is empty, your Windows 10 machine in not set up to work with old machines and is not in the browse list built by the master browser on your network. To see what is in the browse list, run a net view command on one of the older systems.

Bill

Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:27 AM

Hi Moerdur,

Have you tried this How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server

I have tried it with success. If you want to discuss about it you are welcome.

Momominta

Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:45 PM
  • It's difficult for us to check the randomly issue. What's your current status of your question? Did the Windows 10 can see others?

Would you please make sure to install SMB1 to other new installed Windows 10? By default, smb 1.0 is disable for clean installed Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 8:41 AM
  • I just spent a couple of hours on the line with MS Tech Support, and the workaround was turning on SNMP and WMI SNMP Provider. None of the other suggestions in this and a couple of other threads were effective. (I tried those before I ever went the Tech Support route.) My expectation is that this will eventually be fixed in an upcoming Tuesday patch, provided enough people report it via the Feedback Hub and in the forums.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:07 PM
  •     Turn them on where? What are they? I don't see them in Services.

Bill

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:52 PM

Hi Moerdur,

Please open PowerShell as admin on that windows 10 desktop then type : net view and give the result here.

Momominta

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:52 AM