Uninstall a installed MSI from a different user/using Intune RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having a issue an MSI which is created & installed for per user basis, I have installed the MSI in a local user profile (say USER-1)

like msiexec /i prgramfile.msi /qn , it installs a service in the windows 10 PC,  the icon is visible & I can see the MSI in programs & features in control panel, 

Now I need  to uninstall the MSI from a different user(say USER-2), but the MSI is not visible in Programs & features, no icon in desktop,

tried running command to uninstall msiexec /x prgramfile.msi /qn  /norestart , however this does not uninstall the MSI, as I login to USER-1 check in programs & features, it still remains there,

Do you guys faced this kind of issue with USER based MSI programs ?

My target is to remove the Old MSI installed manually using Microsoft INTUNE, as Microsoft Intune runs command /MSI as a system account context , how to remove the MSI ?

• Edited by Dhanraj B Tuesday, October 31, 2017 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 12:26 PM

Answers

• One solution would be : worked in my scenario:

Intune runs a package & command line as a system account : considering the user based software is already installed from another account say U-1, now user U-2 has logged in the device

The Intune package should contain:

1. script:

a) the script will stop any service/process running in background

b) install the user based app again

c) uninstall the user based

d) delete any registry entry ( if present after uninstall) 

• Marked as answer by Dhanraj B Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:20 AM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I found a thread may give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

Uninstalling Msi package with MSIEXEC

https://superuser.com/questions/293542/uninstalling-msi-package-with-msiexec

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:09 AM
  • User-based MSI installs are just that, user-based. One reason everything we install is per computer, it can become a pita to manage applications this way...

Jack

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:14 AM
  • JFetter,

Looking for a workaround to remove a user based MSI from a different user/system user

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:36 AM
  • Unless you are logged on as the same user, the registry hive that contains the install/uninstall data isn't loaded, I know of no way to do what you are asking. Is there some reason you can't logon as the user that originally has the install under their profile?

Jack

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 9:55 AM
  • ya , JFetter,

Scenario:

we used Windows 10 provisioning package to install the MSI (user based) on Surface Pro, the IT support Team using their Local admin account (say ITSupport) installed the provisioning package-which installed the MSI from the account ITSupport. 

Now the Surface pro is distributed all over the world to staffs in various departments. Now we are managing those devices as a desktop using Intune. All Staffs can not provided with ITSupport credentials. & we need to Install another Latest version of that MSI

Friday, November 3, 2017 4:18 AM
  • One solution would be : worked in my scenario:

Intune runs a package & command line as a system account : considering the user based software is already installed from another account say U-1, now user U-2 has logged in the device

The Intune package should contain:

1. script:

a) the script will stop any service/process running in background

b) install the user based app again

c) uninstall the user based

d) delete any registry entry ( if present after uninstall) 

• Marked as answer by Dhanraj B Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:20 AM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:19 AM