none
Windows XP Mode in Win 10

Question

• Reference chat case # 1363853941 on 11/30/16.

I was using Win 7 (64 Bit) on my computer.  While using Win 7, I installed Windows XP Mode.  I followed the procedure in a document from "windows.microsoft.com" called "Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7".  I followed the instructions and I was then able to run old programs using the Windows XP Mode in Win 7.

In September 2016 I upgraded to Win 10 (64 Bit).  After I upgraded to Win 10, I no longer had Windows XP Mode on my desktop, but I found the following program on my C drive:

C;Program Files/Windows XP Mode

Date Modified: <st1:date day="9" month="8" year="2013">08/09/2013</st1:date>

Size: 3.43 GB

I went to the Hyper-V Manager in Win 10.  It said to go to "Import Virtual Machine and Locate folder".  I selected the Windows XP Mode in C:Program Files and got the following error message.  "Hyper-V did not find a virtual machine."

How can I get Windows XP Mode working in Win 10?

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:30 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• XP Mode was a short term application compatibility solution that was built on Microsoft Virtual PC and bound by license to run on Windows 7 only.

Though folks have gotten it to run on Hyper-V under Windows 8 - Windows 10 - the XP OS that is part of XP Mode will require its own activation license.

A bit of searching should uncover a number of resources describing how folks got it to work.  I have seen many of them over the past couple years.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:30 PM
  • Hi Portola Bob,

Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode is not supported on Windows 10. We could migrate to Hyper-V and install it there.

There are few steps to add an XP Mode Virtual Machine to Windows 10 using Hyper-V. Please refer to the link below to follow the steps.

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:47 AM
  • I'm sure Bob has moved on to projects more thrilling and dangerous since posting this question, so this reply is for anyone that might be searching for a solution that respects licensing agreements and works too. 

Revert your upgrade to Windows 10 back to Windows 7 (64 bit).  Use available P2V (physical to virtual) tools from Microsoft or other sources to make a virtualization version of the Windows 7 system on an external disk drive or other storage medium off the physical system.  

Since you'll be upgrading your Windows 7 (64 bit) computer to Windows 10, you are no longer able to run the Windows 7 operating system once that is complete.  You will need to obtain a license for your installed version of Windows 7.  

Upgrade to Windows 10, install the Hyper-V feature, and follow instructions available elsewhere for importing your virtualized Windows 7 installation.  You will be able to continue to run XP Mode inside your virtual Windows 7 machine.  

Monday, February 19, 2018 5:32 PM