Strange Behavior in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• User selects one message for deletion but two are being deleted.  Has anyone witnessed this behavior?

Thank you for any info. you might provide.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm when this issue began to occur. Also, is the problem resolved by rebooting the computer?

If not, we can also try to test this issue by starting Outlook in safe mode or test this issue with a new Outlook profile.

Step 1: Start the Outlook program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Outlook program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Outlook program:

Disable add-ins

1. Click File menu, click Options >  Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.
    2. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
    3. Close the Office program and restart it.
    4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

However, if the problem persists in the safe mode, let’s continue.

Step 2: Test with a new Outlook profile

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

However, if the problem persists in the new Outlook profile, I suggest scanning the system for viruses.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, June 3, 2010 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:36 AM

All replies

• I've seen it when the computer was out of resources and not working correctly - a reboot fixed it. There was a lot of goofiness all around - not just 2 ofr 1 deletes. I haven't seen it under normal circumstances.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm when this issue began to occur. Also, is the problem resolved by rebooting the computer?

If not, we can also try to test this issue by starting Outlook in safe mode or test this issue with a new Outlook profile.

Step 1: Start the Outlook program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Outlook program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Outlook program:

Disable add-ins

1. Click File menu, click Options >  Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.
    2. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
    3. Close the Office program and restart it.
    4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

However, if the problem persists in the safe mode, let’s continue.

Step 2: Test with a new Outlook profile

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

However, if the problem persists in the new Outlook profile, I suggest scanning the system for viruses.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, June 3, 2010 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:36 AM