none
Archival copies of data for posterity RRS feed

• Question

• We moved to DPM from a product that we used in a very different manner. We tried to change our way of thinking about backups to fall into line with how DPM protects data. As a cultural institution, we would like to maintain backups for posterity. We weren't sure how to go about this and opted for a daily backup to disk (expiring every 8 weeks) with copies to tape each week (also expiring after 8 weeks) and then an additional quarterly copy to tape to go offiste and expiring after 999 months.

I wonder should we be looking at another way of accomplishing this need for archiving.

The tapes going offsite are barcoded only. Only DPM knows what's on each tape. We keep a hardcopy file on the weekly reports of tapes due to go offsite which mentions the protection group name.

We are looking at replacing the current DPM 2010 (Windows 2008 R2) server with a DPM 2012 R2 (Windows 2012 R2) server. However, the current DPM 2010 server will have all of this information about the archived/999 month tapes on it and if we lose this database, we lose the record of what's on those tapes. If we migrate to a new server, won't we still lose this record?

So, I was thinking that we could look at a way of removing the reliance on DPM for recording the tape contents. We simply keep a hard copy/soft copy report on the tapes (which are not co-located, by the way) showing the date of the data contained and the server and file/folder list of that data that we could refer to in the absence of the database. Then we could see which tapes had the data for the dates in question, import them into a fresh copy of DPM and restore.

Does this approach seem sensible?

While I see how I am supposed to go around building custom reports, will I be able to get reports that include the contents of the backups or is that data not held in the DB (can I get everything I need)?

• Edited by Steve Ireland Friday, January 24, 2014 3:40 PM Spelling
    Friday, January 24, 2014 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the best way to achieve this with less effort would be to upgrade your DPM 2010 to 2012 (and upgrade Windows Server as well).

This way your database will only be upgraded and will keep records of the tapes already built.

Else you would have to keep a paper record of each tape to know what's on each of these. If not you would have to put each tape one by one into the library and ask for DPM to recatalog the tapes which could take ages just to get the right tape.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Thanks

I am going to do the upgrade anyway to possibly help resolve issues with backups. I lked the idea of starting with a clean install and migrating relevant data but the bulk and nature of data means this is not really a practical runner.

With regard to archiving, we decided in the end that simply knowing the type of data going to tapes (the Jobs) and having a paper printout of the date, the job and the tape number was sufficient for our records (but only because doing it any other waym in DPM overcomplicates the overall process).

Upgrading DPM will hopefully be straightforward even though the details I've read online imply that it won't be. For example, you cannot apparently upgrade the Windows version on a machine running SQL. I hope this doesn't get irretrievably messy.

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:23 AM