none
Project 2016 Resource Max Units versus PWA 2016 On-Line Resource Capacity RRS feed

• Question

• We are running PWA On-Line 2016 with Project 2016 on the desktop.  When a project is first created and resources are known a Resource Engagement request is sent to the Resource Manager and upon approval we start building the schedule.  Here is the dilemma:

If a resource has 100% capacity in PWA and I request 25% of their time on a specific project I think I should see 25% as the resource's max unit in Project 2016 since this was approved.  However I still see the 100% capacity as defined in PWA.  If I attempt to change the resource's max units to the approved amount in Project 2016 I get a message that the value will be overridden when I log out.

My questions are:

a) Does the Engagement process establish max units for the specific project?  If it doesn't what good is the process?

b) How do I change the max units in Project 2016 to reflect the actual time that the resource will spend on the project?  If it always reverts back to PWA this is an administration nightmare since the PWA value is the resources total capacity not a specific project capacity.

Monday, August 22, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Ridgesg

When using Enterprise Resources (as you are doing in project online) MAX units defines the maximum amount of time of a resource's calendar that in theory can be assigned to project work - it is not specific to a single project and is not specific to the engagement.  Therefore to answer your questions...

a) There is never a max units for a specific project - it is per resource.

b) You don't, and you are quite correct in that PWA (in capacity planning) always displays the capacity per day based upon the calendar * the max units.  It's the way that it works.  To see if someone is overallocated as per resource enagements, then you need to use the heatmap.

To use engagements correctly, the PM must ask for a % of the user (remember that the PM might not have a clue as to the agreed amount of time a user is allowed to work on a project and so the engagement feature defaults to the max units).  It is then up to the Resource Manager to smooth out the engagement % per project, and reviews the end result in the Heat Map and Capacity Planning views.

The whole process requires quite some considerable collaboration between PMs and RMs.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Ridgesg

When using Enterprise Resources (as you are doing in project online) MAX units defines the maximum amount of time of a resource's calendar that in theory can be assigned to project work - it is not specific to a single project and is not specific to the engagement.  Therefore to answer your questions...

a) There is never a max units for a specific project - it is per resource.

b) You don't, and you are quite correct in that PWA (in capacity planning) always displays the capacity per day based upon the calendar * the max units.  It's the way that it works.  To see if someone is overallocated as per resource enagements, then you need to use the heatmap.

To use engagements correctly, the PM must ask for a % of the user (remember that the PM might not have a clue as to the agreed amount of time a user is allowed to work on a project and so the engagement feature defaults to the max units).  It is then up to the Resource Manager to smooth out the engagement % per project, and reviews the end result in the Heat Map and Capacity Planning views.

The whole process requires quite some considerable collaboration between PMs and RMs.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Thanks ...
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Hello,

I'm trying to make some sense of this too.  What I'm gathering is if I put a resource at 80% max units in PWA, that is their overall capacity or availability.  I like this side of it because I can get an overall sense of availability.  What I don't like is that when I assign a resource to a task in Project, it seems that the system automatically accounts for 80% of the resources time at the task level.  

As a simple example, one day = 8 hours, but now with 80% max units assigned in PWA, it automatically becomes 6.4 hours.

For the most part, we estimate hours, so if I assign 10 hours to a resource for a task that has a duration of 5 days, I expect this to be 100% of the resources time.  Yet, I still want to know when that resource reaches 80% of overall capacity.  How can I have an overall capacity and not have that same overall carry with each resource at the task level?

Thank you, Kerry

Kerry Soltysinski

Friday, April 27, 2018 2:49 PM
  • Tuning the units in particular engagements, don't cover the requirements - using only part of resource, even while it formally not used in other enterprise projects.

please see: https://microsoftproject.uservoice.com/forums/218133-microsoft-project/suggestions/19590145-engagements-to-influence-max-units-project-level

Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:44 AM