none
' startup repair ' - windows cannot repair this computer automatically RRS feed

• Question

•   Hi, just recently I installed Kaspersky total security 2016 anti-virus software, the following day I was unable to bootup.

I could only get has far has ' startup repair , after a short scan I received the error message, ' startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically '

And gave me two options, - send information about this problem ( recommended )  & don't send, but I was unable to select ( mouse did not function )

So I realised that I needed to erase my ' c ' drive and reinstall windows7 , fortunately I have backup.

But the problem is, I don't know how to access 'c ' drive (using rescue disc ) to erase and reinstall win7

So ( not being very technical ) I contacted Kaspersky technical support, for assistance.

They emailed me the download for their rescue disc, and instructions of how to run the disc, so I copied it to disc and usb stick.

Using the rescue disk, I am able to copy my backup files on 'c '  

But I cannot see an option with the rescue disc for wiping the ' c ' drive clean and reinstalling win7?

Have since asked Kaspersky support, they have replied, but not answered my issue.

Can anyone assist please

• Edited by kenfliss Friday, March 18, 2016 8:35 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 7:03 PM

Answers

• Yes, if you have the installation media disk, you could try it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by kenfliss Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi fliss62,

Based on your description, it seems that the antivirus software may cause the problem.

We may try the Bootrec.exe tool to troubleshoot and repair startup issues.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

If it still fails, perform an In-place Upgrade to repair the system and see how it works.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Thanks for replying Tony Tao, will try that.

Update you later.

thanks

Monday, March 21, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Hi TonyTao,

Inserted my win7 instillation disc, unable to use my mouse to select, tried another one, no joy?

• Edited by kenfliss Monday, March 21, 2016 2:43 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Hi fliss62,

Have you tried to connect the mouse to another USB port? If not, please try it.

Best Regards,

Tao

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 1:14 AM
  • Hi, thanks for that TonyTao.

Tried it works, I am now able to boot from my installation disc,  have selected, ' repair your computer '

Then receive - system recovery options - ' use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows.'

- I select my operating system on 'c ' drive and click load drivers ' - but it then asks me to- ' insert the installation media for the device'

Unsure of next move?

• Edited by kenfliss Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:34 AM sentence check
    • Proposed as answer by Tony_TaoModerator Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Yes, if you have the installation media disk, you could try it.

• Marked as answer by kenfliss Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:12 AM