SBS 2008 : WSUS : Mistakenly removed Computer Group - how to restore it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I just managed to remove/delete a group in the WSUS console (Updates Services) in the tree under the Computers and All Computers "container". Now I do not recall what the name was and I am not sure at all what will happen with WSUS if the folder is not there?

How do I restore that group?

Thankful for any kind of help!!

Sincerely,
     Andreas

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• I did this once, and it completely screwed up my SBS Console and WSUS too.  Luckily, I remembered (took a guess actually) the name of the container, and once I re-created it, it re-populated itself, much to my relief.

The default containers under Computers/All Computers are:

Unassigned Computers

Update Service Excluded Computers

Update Services Client Computers

Update Services Server Computers

Those names are exactly right, so if you re-create the missing one the same, it should all fix itself 

• Marked as answer by ABodin Monday, June 13, 2011 9:20 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:22 PM

All replies

• Was this a custom computer group you created or one out of the box?

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Was this a custom computer group you created or one out of the box?

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

It was one "out of the box"... :(
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:10 PM
  • I did this once, and it completely screwed up my SBS Console and WSUS too.  Luckily, I remembered (took a guess actually) the name of the container, and once I re-created it, it re-populated itself, much to my relief.

Unassigned Computers

Those names are exactly right, so if you re-create the missing one the same, it should all fix itself 

• Marked as answer by ABodin Monday, June 13, 2011 9:20 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:22 PM

Unassigned Computers

Seems that it was the same I mistakenly removed, but the issue is that I run a Swedish version of SBS 2008, so I am not sure what the name actually was...

I've tried to create some different versions to hopefully get a match like you did, but it seems not to work. The computers are gone... :(

Any idea?

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Which groups do you still have (in Swedish)?  Please list them.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Which groups do you still have (in Swedish)?  Please list them.

Here they are (in Swedish), I'll put in freely translated English within parenthesis:

Datorer (Computers)
     Alla datorer (All computers)
     Ej tilldelade datorer (Not assigned computers)
     Update Service exkluderade datorer (Update Service exluded computers)
     Update Services serverdatorer (Update Services server computers)

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:59 PM
  • So what you need is:

"Update Services [Client Computers]", [in Swedish].  Gosh, I wish I could help further.  What is "Client Computers" in Swedish?  somethingdatorer or maybe something datorer

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:11 PM
  • So what you need is:

"Update Services [Client Computers]", [in Swedish].  Gosh, I wish I could help further.  What is "Client Computers" in Swedish?  somethingdatorer or maybe something datorer

Well it seems that "Update Services klientdatorer" was the one!

Two of the computers were populated into this one!! :)

The other 5 might pop-up when they are connected to the Server, or what do you think?

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOU SUPPORT!!!

Sincerely,
     Andreas

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Yes, it takes some time for it to populate.  Relax, it will be fine.

(Remember to mark my answer as an Answer if you think it was helpful!)

All the best, from Cape Town, South Africa

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:48 PM
  • If two are in the rest should follow. - Tardy, but you can determine the group name using one of the client's windowsupdate.log files. IN there will be the configured computer group name to report to (when using directed computer group names).

/kj
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:00 PM