Definition updates advice RRS feed

• Question

• I wondered if anybody can help me with this. I have deployed WSUS which serves the Windows 10 clients on our network. I have unchecked Windows Defender as we have Sophos Enterprise which disables windows defender. I have enabled definition updates because I believe definition updates serve not only Windows Defender but other applications ? is that correct?

anyway many clients keep failing on Windows Defender definition updates which is annoying because I'm not using Windows Defender . It then holds up any updates from going to that client because its stuck on the definition update.

if I have unchcked Windows Defender does that not mean that it should stop sending definiition updates for defender? What can I do ? I don't want to keep manually declining them to clear the error. Should I just stop definition updates category ? Thanks

Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi dubsdj -MCITP,

1. Only "approved for install" updates can be installed on clients. So, if you don't want specific updates to be installed on clients, you may "Not approve" that update or "decline" that update;

2. >if I have unchcked Windows Defender does that not mean that it should stop sending definiition updates for defender?

I don't think so, as far as I'm concerned, WSUS clients will not evaluate if the updates is needed based on if the application is running on the computer, maybe by the version or some other factors.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 6, 2016 7:56 AM