none
How to create a test environment for Project Server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for information about how to setup a test environment for Project Server 2007.

We are in the early stage of the project, so I have some very basic questions like:

-         Is it possible to duplicate the production Server database and use it on the same server at the same time? (I mean that the administrators are using the Test database while the basic users works with the production database) Or do we need another virtual or physical computer?

-         Does it require buying new licences (Project Server, SQL server, etc.)

-         If a virtual machine is required, have you any advices to choose the more appropriate?

-         Where can I found proper articles about this topic?

Thanks in advances

Our environment: Project Server 2007 and WSS 3.0

Daniel

Daniel
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I am looking for information about how to setup a test environment for Project Server 2007.

We are in the early stage of the project, so I have some very basic questions like:

-         Is it possible to duplicate the production Server database and use it on the same server at the same time? (I mean that the administrators are using the Test database while the basic users works with the production database) Or do we need another virtual or physical computer?

-         Does it require buying new licences (Project Server, SQL server, etc.)

-         If a virtual machine is required, have you any advices to choose the more appropriate?

Thanks in advances

Daniel

Daniel

There is a lot of information about Project Server 2007 deployment on technet which will help you make those decisions:

Start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197280(office.12).aspx

Licensing is between you and microsoft. I know that some enterprise agreements allow development without the purchase of another license, but contact your microsoft rep for details.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:05 PM
  • In addition to Jack's answers, here are a few personal experiences...

- Duplication of production and server dbs - you can copy the production to a test instance, but I've never had cause to "sync" the databases and I'm sure that this would be impossible.  Both the test and live databases can sit on the same physical SQL server, no problem.

- Licences.  You need separate licences if the test environment is on a separate machine (physical or virutal).  Note that you can set up multiple PWA instances on a single server, this does not require additional licences.  It depends on where you want to site the test environment and what it will be used for.

- Virtual Machines - do you mean which type (vmware/virtual server etc).  I've used both vmware and virtual server, and I'd have no preference

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    • Marked as answer by Daniel_358 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:14 PM
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:40 PM
  • The only way something close to that would be possible would be restoring the production databases (via SQL - all 4 databases and WSS databases, as well) to the other TEST instance of Project Server each night.  In this case, any changes that the TEST admins made would not be kept and would be overwritten. 

In one site that I support, we keep a test and production instance of Project Server 2007.  Although they are not in perfect sync... we can easily publish projects to the test server and play around with things when needed.  Ex.  We just added many enterprise custom fields that must be populated prior to a project being saved and published.  We tested this first on the TEST instance.  We also were able to test the reporting funcionality of those same enterprise custom fields.

We also use the TEST instance for training.

Koren

• Marked as answer by Daniel_358 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I think right now it is hard for you visualize the look and feel of how things play out.  When we are switching between TEST and PRODUCTION, it as simple as switching URLS.  Each instance has it's own URL.  This is all web-based administration. 

We keep the Project Server installations and WSS content for each on two separate virtual machines (2008, 64-bit).  All PRODUCTION and TEST databases are on the same SQL Server.  There are actually 4 Project Server databases for each instance for a total of 8.  There are also several WSS databases created for each instance (Content, Admin, Shared Services, etc.).  ---Lot's of databases - VERY IMPORTANT TO DOCUMENT DURING INSTALLATION --.

Anyway, it is possible to host both the PRODUCTION and TEST front-end on the same server.  You can see this is possible during installation under:

Shared Services Administration: SharedServices1 > Manage Project Web Access Sites on the WSS configurations.

You would still have to follow the licencing requirements as described above.

Koren

www.WTINetworks.com

• Proposed as answer by Korena Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel_358 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks in advances

Daniel

Daniel

There is a lot of information about Project Server 2007 deployment on technet which will help you make those decisions:

Start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197280(office.12).aspx

Licensing is between you and microsoft. I know that some enterprise agreements allow development without the purchase of another license, but contact your microsoft rep for details.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:05 PM
  • In addition to Jack's answers, here are a few personal experiences...

- Duplication of production and server dbs - you can copy the production to a test instance, but I've never had cause to "sync" the databases and I'm sure that this would be impossible.  Both the test and live databases can sit on the same physical SQL server, no problem.

- Licences.  You need separate licences if the test environment is on a separate machine (physical or virutal).  Note that you can set up multiple PWA instances on a single server, this does not require additional licences.  It depends on where you want to site the test environment and what it will be used for.

- Virtual Machines - do you mean which type (vmware/virtual server etc).  I've used both vmware and virtual server, and I'd have no preference

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    • Marked as answer by Daniel_358 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:14 PM
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:40 PM
  • The only way something close to that would be possible would be restoring the production databases (via SQL - all 4 databases and WSS databases, as well) to the other TEST instance of Project Server each night.  In this case, any changes that the TEST admins made would not be kept and would be overwritten. 

In one site that I support, we keep a test and production instance of Project Server 2007.  Although they are not in perfect sync... we can easily publish projects to the test server and play around with things when needed.  Ex.  We just added many enterprise custom fields that must be populated prior to a project being saved and published.  We tested this first on the TEST instance.  We also were able to test the reporting funcionality of those same enterprise custom fields.

We also use the TEST instance for training.

Koren

• Marked as answer by Daniel_358 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Thanks to every body,

The synchronisation between the 2 databases is not a strong requirement for us.

There is one thing which is not clear enough to me.

When you have a test and a production database on a computer, are they both operational at the same time? I mean, while the administrator is working on the test database, is it possible for the current user to work on the production database at the same time? Is there an easy way for the administrator to switch between databases if he need to?

And if so, is there a good link where I can find how to set up the whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Daniel
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:44 AM
  • I think right now it is hard for you visualize the look and feel of how things play out.  When we are switching between TEST and PRODUCTION, it as simple as switching URLS.  Each instance has it's own URL.  This is all web-based administration. 

We keep the Project Server installations and WSS content for each on two separate virtual machines (2008, 64-bit).  All PRODUCTION and TEST databases are on the same SQL Server.  There are actually 4 Project Server databases for each instance for a total of 8.  There are also several WSS databases created for each instance (Content, Admin, Shared Services, etc.).  ---Lot's of databases - VERY IMPORTANT TO DOCUMENT DURING INSTALLATION --.

Anyway, it is possible to host both the PRODUCTION and TEST front-end on the same server.  You can see this is possible during installation under:

Shared Services Administration: SharedServices1 > Manage Project Web Access Sites on the WSS configurations.

You would still have to follow the licencing requirements as described above.

Koren

www.WTINetworks.com

• Proposed as answer by Korena Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel_358 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:26 PM
  • thanks for your help Daniel
    Daniel
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi Ben - If I may ask, where did you get your information from regarding the licensing of mulitple instances of PWA on a single server?  If you had a URL it would be appreciated.  We have the same issue and was just told by MS that each PWA instance on a single server does, in fact, require a separate licence.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

It's been that way since Project Server 2002.  You are using a single copy of Project Server to host multiple instances, therefore you only need a single licence; your LAR will be able to verify this.  You can think of this as the same as running multiple web sites in a single windows server, you only need one Windows Server licence.  It's the same thing.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:02 PM