Security v Critical rollups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, apologies if this has already been answered but I searched the forum and couldn't see anything relevant.

Currently for servers I download and apply both Critical and Security updates in WSUS, with the rollup model do I still need to download and apply critical and security updates or should I just download and apply the monthly Security rollup.

I've searched blogs etc but can't find any definitive answer, some people say apply both, others say you now just need to apply Security rollups as all critical patches are now part of the security monthly rollup.

Can someone please clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Thundaheed,

As we can check that the Critical and Security updates are not superseded by the monthly rollup, so we still need to sync them into WSUS server.

If clients report as needing these updates, we may approve them for install. In classifications, we may check "Critical Updates", "Security updates" and "Update rollups". Generally, I'll check all of the classifications expect for "Drivers", and approve needed updates for clients.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:37 AM