none
Setting up Outlook account

Question

• Hi,

I cannot set up an Outlook account in Outlook 2016. I keep getting the following message "We couldn't create the Outlook data file. Make sure the disk you're saving to isn't full or write protected and that the file isn't being used". But I have 30GB free on the C drive.

It is a personal account (g suite by gmail), and I already have 4 other accounts set up in my Outlook (Office 365 version 1709).

Interestingly, although the error message states it cannot create the outlook data file, it does create the file (in C:\Users\Kathrin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook), but I cannot proceed with the account set up as it errors out.

I already asked this question in the general Microsoft help forum, but couldn't solve this issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_2016/setting-up-outlook-account/10c4d06c-002e-4a1d-a1e5-1b43535e5ee4?messageId=b661ea03-d307-47e6-b3b7-9857702da36b

Thank you for any help :)

Monday, November 06, 2017 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you try to set up your G Suite account in Outlook 2016? Via IMAP or POP3? Please first make sure POP/IMAP access is enabled for your account. To verify this, please follow:

1. Log on to your Gmail inbox for the G Suite account.
    2. Click the Settings icon in the top right corner, select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down.
    3. Switch to “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab, click on “Enable IMAP” and "Enable POP for all mails" and then click on ‘Save Changes’.

Now, try configuring your email account in Outlook again to see the result.

If the issue still persists, we can also try creating a new Outlook mail profile and set up your G Suite email account in the separate mail profile to see whether this issue continues.

Please let us know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Hey Steve, 

Exact same problem 

Every time I click on retry it creates a new account here on the left. But it's not working, Can't connect to my GMAIL

Can you please help ? 

see the error message here it wouldn't let me upload an image to the forum

i. imgur. com/ L8ZlR82.png

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:43 PM