Approving Workflows when using a generic email box RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow set up that sends a message to a shared email box. I have two people who have rights to that box setup within Outlook but neither of them can approve a form.  They get an error when they try.  What I am wondering is how to set up a workflow so that it sends a message to a generic email account but allows anyone with access to that account to approve the form?  Do I need to have them all added to the same AD account? Do I need to somehow associate them with a group in Sharepoint (tried that but it doesn't seem to work and I can't seem to link the group with email address).  Any advice would be helpful. 

Thanks

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Dbigel,

As I understand, the people who can approve the form in approve workflow needs to be a user account in SharePoint group, if your workflow is SharePoint 2007 built in approve workflow, you can choose more than one approvers in the workflow settings page, the approvers will receive an email to approve the form.

I’m not clear about your saying that “send a message to a generic email account allow anyone with access to that account”, people who can approve the task need to be approvers that specified or the people who start the workflow, it doesn’t mean that the people who can see the email.

Here is an article about “understand approval workflows in SharePoint”, it is for SharePoint 2010, but SharePoint 2007 approve workflow has some similarity, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/understand-approval-workflows-in-sharepoint-2010-HA101857172.aspx

If it isn’t the issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Dbigel,

As I understand, the people who can approve the form in approve workflow needs to be a user account in SharePoint group, if your workflow is SharePoint 2007 built in approve workflow, you can choose more than one approvers in the workflow settings page, the approvers will receive an email to approve the form.

I’m not clear about your saying that “send a message to a generic email account allow anyone with access to that account”, people who can approve the task need to be approvers that specified or the people who start the workflow, it doesn’t mean that the people who can see the email.

Here is an article about “understand approval workflows in SharePoint”, it is for SharePoint 2010, but SharePoint 2007 approve workflow has some similarity, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/understand-approval-workflows-in-sharepoint-2010-HA101857172.aspx

If it isn’t the issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Did you ever resolve, the above as I have the exact same issue. The response below does not address it.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 12:14 AM