none
After snapshot restore SYSVOL content is missing from windows 2012 R2 domain controller VM

Question

• Hello All,

Recently I have noticed something very weird, I have restored domain controller using VMDK restore.

After restore when I powered ON the VM (domain controller) I noticed that SYSVOL content is empty.

There was no Policies and Scripts folder. It was missing completely. This was done during testing in isolated environment so there was no other domain controller to sync with (d2).

To resolve issue we have restored another domain controller from the which had 'Policies' and 'Scripts' folder under SYSVOL however this was not VMDK restore we had cloned it (power Down and then took offline clone).

After powering it ON it went to non-auth restore mode (which is understood) however same thing with this machine as well. SYSVOL content was missing.

has anyone noticed anything like this ? we are using FRS for the SYSVOL and OS is 2012 R2

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:22 PM

All replies

• > Recently I have noticed something very weird, I have restored domain controller using VMDK restore.

Quick thought: 2012R2 is VM aware and supports DC snapshotting. If a DC boots up and notices that it is booting from a snapshot, it enters non authoritative restore automatically (wrong VMGenerationID).

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:23 PM
  • Check this; https://adsecurity.org/?p=265

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:25 AM