Why page break and section break occur on the same line RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I use Word 2010 to insert a page break and then insert a section break (with next page), I found that the page break and section break are on the same line. In the old 2003, the page break and section break will be on difference line,

Does anyone know how to make it back to 2003 style for this condition?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:59 PM

Answers

• In Word 2010, there is a Layout option (expand the list of Layout Options at the bottom of File tab | Options | Advanced) called "Split apart page break and paragraph mark" that you can select or clear (whichever you prefer). To get Word 2003 behavior, you should select the option.

However, instead of inserting both a page break and a Next Page section break, use an Odd Page section break. For Word to correctly add "filler" pages when necessary, select "Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in the Page Setup dialog box (which you can open by double-clicking the upper part of the horizontal ruler).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by RLee1010 Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:18 PM

All replies

• In Word 2010, there is a Layout option (expand the list of Layout Options at the bottom of File tab | Options | Advanced) called "Split apart page break and paragraph mark" that you can select or clear (whichever you prefer). To get Word 2003 behavior, you should select the option.

However, instead of inserting both a page break and a Next Page section break, use an Odd Page section break. For Word to correctly add "filler" pages when necessary, select "Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in the Page Setup dialog box (which you can open by double-clicking the upper part of the horizontal ruler).

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by RLee1010 Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

Many thanks, it works perfectly.

Ray

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:26 PM
  • I'm glad I could help. Thanks for the feedback.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:58 PM