none
WIM index problem CMCB 1902 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We prepare our OSD deployable images like this:

1) download the iso from the VLSC

2) grab the wim and find out which index is Windows 10 Enterprise

3) run an Export-windowsimage to create a new wim specifying the one index from above

4) mount that new wim and do a few cool things then dismount

5) Do another export-windowsimage with sourceindex 1 to create the final WIM we deploy

Now at this point I assumed that we have a WIM with a single index (meaning we can use the new 1902 feature - remove superseded when doing offline servicing).

Today I was looking at the offline servicing log and the log said the wim has two indexes. So I ran a get-windowsimage on the WIM and it indeed says I have two indexes - both called windows 10 enterprise and both different sizes.

How did I end up with two?Could I do another export-windowsimage with index one to recreate my image - would number one be the right one deployed? The weird thing is that when we point to that image package in the 'Apply OS step' it only shows as one index available in the drop-down.

Thanks

David Z

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For this problem, we may run Get-WindowsImage immediately after step 3 and step 5 and check the result, so that we can know when the index has been increased.

I've tested in the lab, and all is working.

import the original image in configuration manager

import the exported image (with single index) in configuration manager

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Thanks - I know how to fix it.

I was just wondering why it ended up with two indexes with the same name?

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:34 AM
  • Hi David,

Thank you very much for the reply. If you have any other questions in future, please feel free to post new questions. 

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, September 13, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Yes. My question is - how did it end up with two indexes both with the same name?
    Monday, September 16, 2019 2:06 AM