none
How to provide version for solution based on FIM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developing a solution that is based on FIM 2010. Customer would like to see some version information on FIM portal.

Is there anything provided by FIM to fullfil this requirement? It doesn't have to be full change log only the current version information.

So I need to answer these questions:

• is there any built-in way to store version information or should I update the schema to store this (another resource type or portal configuration resource type update)?
    • is there any way to display such information on FIM Portal?

The only solution which comes to my mind is to add another resource type, let's say ChangeLog, with two columns version and description and then provide a navigation bar link to this. The link title will be the current version. The main drawback is: I will have to maintain the link title and the changelog related resources manually and all the customer wants, is a simple version information.

Thank you.

Best regards

Rafal Grzybowski

Friday, December 28, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• (...) is there any built-in way to store version information or should I update the schema to store this (another resource type or portal configuration resource type update)?(...) 

You have to introduce it on your own

(...) is there any way to display such information on FIM Portal? (...)

Depends on how you will implement it - either by separate object type or some additional attribute - just use RCDC to present it

(...) The main drawback is: I will have to maintain the link title and the changelog related resources manually and all the customer wants, is a simple version information. (...)

Make this part of your deployment procedure - after deploying solution verify it and then update /create appropriate object in your change log. Your navbar can link to a view ith search scope which will display only the current object. 

My .02PLN - anyway, this information will be only as good as your deployment process, and if you are sure about your deployment process, why to keep this information in a portal. I would rather think about storing version information with each object touched in a given deployment.

Just little OFF-Topic - Rafał, as this is only place we have interaction with each other, can you contact me on priv, you will find e-mail on our blog side and looking it up in the internet is not a problem ;)

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:50 PM

All replies

• (...) is there any built-in way to store version information or should I update the schema to store this (another resource type or portal configuration resource type update)?(...) 

You have to introduce it on your own

(...) is there any way to display such information on FIM Portal? (...)

Depends on how you will implement it - either by separate object type or some additional attribute - just use RCDC to present it

(...) The main drawback is: I will have to maintain the link title and the changelog related resources manually and all the customer wants, is a simple version information. (...)

Make this part of your deployment procedure - after deploying solution verify it and then update /create appropriate object in your change log. Your navbar can link to a view ith search scope which will display only the current object. 

My .02PLN - anyway, this information will be only as good as your deployment process, and if you are sure about your deployment process, why to keep this information in a portal. I would rather think about storing version information with each object touched in a given deployment.

Just little OFF-Topic - Rafał, as this is only place we have interaction with each other, can you contact me on priv, you will find e-mail on our blog side and looking it up in the internet is not a problem ;)

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Tomasz,

Thank you for your help.

The reason why I need to put some version information on the FIM portal home page is because of having multiple deployment of the solution.

For now we have at least three: development environment, secondary environment for testing by end users representative during development and offical testing environment. After the first release we will have production env. And because the changes are migrated from dev to production, all of these environments can have different versions. And this causes confusion for the users: they don't know if the environment used contains the changes they want to test/use. We have some mechanism to notify about the changes but this information is not integrated with FIM - I understand that it will be more easy for the users to find this information on FIM portal directly.

I could update master page and add something there but I'd like to avoid complicating deployment process - for now I only deploy custom assemblies and FIM portal/synchronization configuration.

And because the information should be displayed on the main portal page, I cannot implement this only by RCDC customization.

Anyway, I will probably stick with custom ChangeLog resource type and additional navigation bar link.

Best regards

Rafal Grzybowski

Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:51 AM