none
Secondary DPM for offsite backup RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to set up a secondary DPM server at another data center for disaster recovery.  However, the WAN connection between them is too slow (~10 Mbps) to reasonably accommodate all of the daily updates to the primary.  Also, the primary has ~8 TB of disk space, but I don’t want to install that much on the secondary.  Basically, I would like the secondary to store only the latest 1-2 recovery points for each server, and synchronize/update less frequently than the primary.  Is this possible? 

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:07 AM

Answers

• Yes, the secondary can be configured to your liking, but changed data is changed data, so no matter what that data needs to be transfered over the slow link.  You can selectively choose what data sources are "Most Critical" to your business and only choose to protect those data sources in secondary protection. I have seen customers keep only 1 day of short term to disk on the secondary then do long term to tape daily for longer retension periods to eleviate having to keep large disk storage pool on the secondary.  You have a lot of flexibility to meet your short and long term backup and DR goals when you have secondary DPM server, but think about getting a bigger pipe if you plan on protecting TB data, think about restore times just in case disaster does strike.
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:22 AM