none
Only Microsoft Devices receive IPv6 addresses from DHCPv6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I started using dual stack in my test lab. I want to use stateful IPv6. So I configured DHCPv6 on my DC.

The address distribution to Microsoft servers (2k8 R2) and clients (Win 10) is working fine. But all other devices (i.e. Apple iPhone & iPad) do not receive IPv6 addresses. I found solicit messages in the DHCPv6 log.

After configuring dhcpv6-relay on the firewall (FortiGate 30D) it started working. But I do not see any DNS names in DHCP console from this devices. And activiating dhcp-relay in the same subnet should not be normal, should it?

I hope that someone may have a solution for this. Otherwise it could be funny to provide dual stack in a larger environment.

Regards,

Marcel

Saturday, November 3, 2018 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hello bbasket,

Thank you for your question.

But I do not see any DNS names in DHCP console from this devices.

What does this mean? Can't you see the lease or the host name or something else?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 5, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I am able to see the lease but no host names.

Regards,
    Marcel

Monday, November 5, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi bbasket,

After configuring dhcpv6-relay on the firewall, all other devices can receive IPv6 address. And you just can't see host names from FortiGate 30D. Is that right?

Can you see host names from DHCP server on your DC?

In the properties of IPv6, go to DNS, choose "Always dynamically update DNS AAAA and PTR records" to see if it helps.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I cannot see any host names in DHCPv6 console and there are no AAAA records in the DNS zone. In DHCPv4 console I am able to see the host names and all A records are present.

"Always dynamically update DNS AAAA and PTR records"

This setting is already set, but it does not change anything.

Regards,
    Marcel

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:15 AM
  • Hi bbasket,

In DHCPv4 console I am able to see the host names and all A records are present.

There are also records for non-Microsoft devices, right?

Try to disable IPv4 to see if the non-Microsoft devices will get IPv6 addresses.

We don't have non-Microsoft devices, so we can't do the test.

Best Regards,

Leon

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hi Leon,

the printer is registered with its host name now. The iOS devices still did not. Maybe it is a normal behaviour with iOS.

Note: Even with IPv4 I have no A records for this devices, but I see the host names in DHCPv4.

Regards,
    Marcel

Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:32 PM
  • Hello bbasket,

If you want to support clients of other operating systems, first query their vendor class ID, then add this vendor class ID in the DHCP server and set options for those clients.

Best Regards,

Leon

Friday, November 9, 2018 5:40 AM
  • Hi Leon,

this sounds realy helpful. Can you give a hint how to get their vendor class ID?

Regards,
    Marcel

Friday, November 9, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Hi bbasket,

Have you enabled IPv6 on your IOS devices? Just want to confirm that.

Are you configuring a scope for all devices (Microsoft and non-Microsoft devices) to distribute addresses? Or you've configured two scopes, one for Microsoft devices and one for non-Micosoft devices?

As far as I know , you should contact the IOS Vendor to know how to switch the unit to use ASCII.

For example,Polycom vendor will reply costumer to use Polycom-SSIP6000 as the Vendor Class ID.

Best Regards,

Leon

Friday, November 9, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hi Leon,

yes, IPv6 is enabled (by default) and I am receiving IPv6 addresses. The only existing problem is the missing host name.

I have configured one scope for all devices. I try to get information from Apple or I will use wireshark to get the information like in a article from windowsserveressentials.com. I am unable to insert the link.

Regards,
    Marcel

Friday, November 9, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hi Marcel,

What's the situation of your issue now?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Leon

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:35 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I realized that I have performance issues when using IPv6 to access WAN. Because of this I will not trace this problem to the end at the moment. Maybe I give it another try in six month.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
    Marcel

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 12:35 PM
  • You are welcome, Marcel.

I'm looking forward to your update.

And if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Leon

Friday, November 16, 2018 2:21 AM