Deploy a web role with RDP capability RRS feed

• Question

• When building a project in VS prior to publishing, I can select to enable RDP. 

Looking at the PS cmdlets, it’s a bit confusing to understand whether I can decide to NOT set these options when packaging the deployment, or if I have to still do this within the packaging.

I’ve created my service (empty) and have uploaded a .pfx file into it from PS.  According to what I read, the next thing I need to do is call:

$secure_string_pwd = convertto-securestring $rdpPassword -asplaintext -force

Enable-AzureServiceProjectRemoteDesktop -Username $rdpUsername -Password $secure_string_pwd

Whenever I execute this though, it complains that it can’t find the .csdef file.  When I put that file in the directory, then it says it can’t find the ServiceConfiguration.cscfg file, when in fact, the file should be named ServiceConfiguration.Cloud.cscfg.

Maybe I’m following the wrong steps and calling the wrong cmdlets.

How would you:

1. Enable RDP.
    2. Deploy the new service.

STom

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:40 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Monday, December 23, 2013 9:13 PM

All replies

• This is not a Visual Studio forum.  Please try posting in the VS forum.

.csdef  and cscfg files are Visual Studio project control files.  They have nothing to do with PowerShell.  If you are trying to host PowerShell in a VS project then you still need to post in the VS forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, December 23, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Please re-read my question. This question is ALL about PowerShell. The only resemblance to Visual Studio is the fact that the .cscfg and .cspkg file are created there.

I'm asking how to deploy using PowerShell and have the capability to do RDP into the roles.

While it is possible to deploy these files using New-AzureDeployment, if you want to enable RDP, it appears you have to enabled RDP first, but it doesn't appear to work for me...or I'm doing something in the wrong order.

Thanks!

STom

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Please re-read my question. This question is ALL about PowerShell. The only resemblance to Visual Studio is the fact that the .cscfg and .cspkg file are created there.

I'm asking how to deploy using PowerShell and have the capability to do RDP into the roles.

While it is possible to deploy these files using New-AzureDeployment, if you want to enable RDP, it appears you have to enabled RDP first, but it doesn't appear to work for me...or I'm doing something in the wrong order.

Thanks!

STom

I reread your question three times. 

Let us forget about VS.

Are you are saying that, if you open a PowerShell CLI prompt and type in that command that you get those errors? Is that correct?

I don't think so.  If you are getting those errors then you have a problem with the installation of either PowerShell or the libraries.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/dn459835.aspx

I would also try posting in the Azure forum. The documentation is pre-release and the SDK is probably not completely updated to PowerShell.

I suspect the shell runs on the installed version of PS but couldn't find the required version info.  I think the Azure people might recognize the issue otr be more helpful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:14 AM