Client installs but does not register RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to install the client (SCCM 2012 R2) with client push. The clients appear to install, appear to be assigned to the correct site, but they do not register. In ClientIDManagerStartup.log, I see the following:

[RegTask] - Client registration is pending. Sending confirmation request for GUID...

I was previously using AD sites for site assignment. For troubleshooting, I decided to remove all AD sites and simply use one IP subnet for testing. I then attempted to reinstall the client, via client push, to no avail.

To piggyback on the issue, my two previously working clients - this is test environment, so not many machines - still show as having clients but they are inactive. Heartbeat DDR hasn't been received in about two weeks.

Any ideas?

-Nick O.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:22 PM

Answers

• Just thought I'd update this to provide closure.

During the install of SCCM 2012 R2, I did not add the MP computer account as a local admin on the site server. After doing this per Microsoft Support's recommendation, everything appears to work as needed. Clients register and can be managed as expected.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by Nick Ourso Friday, March 7, 2014 11:17 PM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 11:17 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a boundary issue, are you sure they are configured correctly?

You should use IP address ranges instead of subnets.. http://blog.configmgrftw.com/ip-subnet-boundaries-are-evil/

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:30 PM
  • Right. All of the information I found points to a boundary issue. I've gone ahead and removed the IP subnet and replaced it with an IP address range. Retesting now.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Sounds like a boundary issue, are you sure they are configured correctly?

No. Client registration has nothing to do with boundaries at all.
    Examine MP_RegistrationManager.log instead.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:16 PM
  • In MP_RegistrationManager.log, I'm receiving the following messages repeatedly:

MP Reg: Did not find client (GUID <GUID>) public key. This may be because the client has not registered yet.

Sprinkled throughout the same log is:

Encountered database error while verifying headers for client 'GUID:<GUID>' (0x87d00238).
    CCMValidateAuthHeaders failed (0x87d00238) to validate headers for client 'GUID:<GUID>.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:22 PM
  • So I checked the DB and don't see any obvious issue. The MP appears to have Connect permissions, with effective permissions being Connect and View Definition. At wit's end, I reinstalled the MP role on one MP - I have two - to no avail. Still getting the "Did not find client public key" message in MP_RegistrationManager.log.

Edit: Also, in CcmExec on the MP, I'm consistently getting:

Could not load logging configuration for component ClientLocation. Using default values.
    Could not load logging configuration for component MP_RegistrationManager. Using default values. 

-Nick O.

• Edited by Nick Ourso Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:08 PM edit
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:00 PM
  • what does the LocationServices.log say on the clients?
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Just thought I'd update this to provide closure.

During the install of SCCM 2012 R2, I did not add the MP computer account as a local admin on the site server. After doing this per Microsoft Support's recommendation, everything appears to work as needed. Clients register and can be managed as expected.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by Nick Ourso Friday, March 7, 2014 11:17 PM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 11:17 PM