Collapsable Headings aren't collapsing properly RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

I have a document with one Heading1 and then a bunch of Heading2s underneath that.  Some of the Heading2s have Heading3s underneath them to create a hierarchy like a bulleted list.

If I right click the Heading1 and do a Collapse All, I can then expand it and expand the various Heading2s to see the Heading3s and so forth.  Everything seems to collapse and expand properly.

However, if I right-click the Heading1 and do an Expand All, Then if I take a Heading2 that has Heading3s within and click the triangle, it collapses everything below that Heading2 in the document including all the other Heading2s that are their own sections.

So if I have 10 Heading2 sections that are all expanded and some have Heading3s under them and some don't, if I click the triangle on the 5th one to collapse the Heading3s that are underneath it, it collapses all the Heading3s and the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th Heading2s so now it appears I only have 5 Heading2 items.

Does that make sense?  Is there somethign wrong with my headings or is this a bug of some sort?  I'm using Word 2016.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I cannot reproduce the issue in my Microsoft Word 2016. Does this issue happen to all Word documents or just a certain one? Have you tried creating a new document with the headings to see the result?

We may also enable the Outline View of the document to see if the outline levels for the Heading 2 sections are set correctly. To do this, go to View tab, in the Views group, click Outline.

In addition, please also try to exit Word, rename the Normal.dotm template file to Normal.old and then restart Word to test the issue again. By default, the Normal.dotm file is stored in the following location:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:03 AM
  • OK, upon closer investigation, what's happen is:

I click the triangle to shrink a particular heading and it's taking the next heading and moving it to the next page instead of moving it up to be underneath the current heading.  Really weird.

I'm happy to send someone my document to review if that would help.  This is the first time I've done anything using headings so maybe I did something wrong.

It's just very strange that if my starting point is everything collapsed, it works fine.  If my starting point is everything expanded, it acts weird.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:23 PM