none
Use PDP's or document for project fields RRS feed

• Question

• We're newbies with Project Server and are just planning our implemtation and have a question about how to design our information gathering process.

• Currently we have a New Product development process that exists in a sharepoint library that will be redesigned in Project Server. All the collected data in the NPD process is in a word document with 60 fields that have to be filled out at various stages by the project members.
    • My question is should we create a custom field for every field in the word doc and place them on PDP's or should we simply create a workflow designed to route the document and have the project members fill in the fields at the various stages?

Thank you very much.

• Edited by Surferdog Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• I am sure you will get several different opinions on this design question, because you could go either way.

Here is my two cents:

• Creating the 60 fields in PS and adding them PDPs will definitely make your 'design' easier. However, that is quite a bit of administrative work to create and maintain those fields.
    • I personally like to use the Custom fields for data that is "really" important, and is needed for reporting. For example, multi line text information like "What is out of scope" is lesser important  than  "Estimated Cost" from that perspective. The "Out of Scope" field is better left in a document. Then you could surface a document in PDP (not as a fillable form), as an atatchment, and have your users to fill it out.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Surferdog Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Great news that you are making use of the Demand Management features.

With regards to your question, typically you would convert your word document into various PDPs and custom fields and use a workflow to guide the users through collecting the information and applying business logic as they go such as approvals.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Though you have got quite good suggestions from colleagues above, just wanted to add another option that we typically follow for adding fields as custom field vs not adding, keep in mind that more no of custom fields have performance impactsespecially if they are calculated fields,

having said that typically i recommend only creating fields as custom field if you need it for reporting purposes, else i would suggest use an infopath form to capture the other non reporting fileds & capture data using infopath form on PDP page

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:27 PM

All replies

• I am sure you will get several different opinions on this design question, because you could go either way.

Here is my two cents:

• Creating the 60 fields in PS and adding them PDPs will definitely make your 'design' easier. However, that is quite a bit of administrative work to create and maintain those fields.
    • I personally like to use the Custom fields for data that is "really" important, and is needed for reporting. For example, multi line text information like "What is out of scope" is lesser important  than  "Estimated Cost" from that perspective. The "Out of Scope" field is better left in a document. Then you could surface a document in PDP (not as a fillable form), as an atatchment, and have your users to fill it out.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Great news that you are making use of the Demand Management features.

With regards to your question, typically you would convert your word document into various PDPs and custom fields and use a workflow to guide the users through collecting the information and applying business logic as they go such as approvals.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Though you have got quite good suggestions from colleagues above, just wanted to add another option that we typically follow for adding fields as custom field vs not adding, keep in mind that more no of custom fields have performance impactsespecially if they are calculated fields,

having said that typically i recommend only creating fields as custom field if you need it for reporting purposes, else i would suggest use an infopath form to capture the other non reporting fileds & capture data using infopath form on PDP page

Let us know if this helps

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Wow. Thanks very much you guys...good food for thought.

• Sunil - I'm experienced with infopath but have yet to come across much info about utilizing infopath in Project Server. Would we create a form library and display the form as a webpart on a PDP?

• Edited by Surferdog Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:21 PM
  • have alook at wonderful post vy Andrew, it illustrates one way to leverage infopath but similarly you can use it for reading data as well

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/05/04/making-a-read-only-pdp-with-infopath-forms/

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:01 PM