Corrupt .ost files when BitLockering RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There, 

Currently in the testing phase of bitlockering computers before our role out to more than 3200 laptops. I am running into major issues when we are using MBAM to BitLocker a users machine. My issue is that once the encryption is started, Outlook 2016 will crash and ask the user to repair .ost. However, upon repairing the .ost outlook will open, but not update. The only way to update the folders is to rename the .ost and reopen outlook (making a new .ost). The OutLook folder in windows is already EFS before BitLockered. 

Any help with this issue will be much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:41 PM

Answers

• I told you, EFS and bitlocker had a problem which was patched, recently.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051033

"Addressed issue where, during BitLocker decryption or encryption of a drive, files protected with the Encrypting File System (EFS) may become corrupted."

And your version 14393. 1884 shows, you have not installed that  update...

----

Please note that installing that update will not repair that file. It will only prevent that to re-appear.

• Proposed as answer by Ronald Schilf Monday, December 11, 2017 6:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by MrSandland Monday, December 11, 2017 7:28 PM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>My issue is that once the encryption is started, Outlook 2016 will crash and ask the user to repair .ost. 

Is there any error message? If yes, would you please paste the error message here, so we can do further research on it?

>> The only way to update the folders is to rename the .ost and reopen outlook (making a new .ost).

Usually, We don't recommend repairing an offline Outlook Data File, so if the offline data file isn't usable, we may recreate it. See this article for more information about how to recreate an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).

By the way, have you checked if the issue can be reproduced on other computers? Sorry but since my knowledge about MBAM is limited, personally I’d like to encourage you also post in the dedicated forum for MBAM to see if others who use MBAM have encountered the similar situation.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:29 AM
  • I guess the following is the reason: bitlocker and EFS used together had a problem that has recently been patched. It might still affect you if the patch is not installed, yet. Please share info on your OS and build number as shown by the command

winver

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

>>My issue is that once the encryption is started, Outlook 2016 will crash and ask the user to repair .ost. 

Is there any error message? If yes, would you please paste the error message here, so we can do further research on it?

>> The only way to update the folders is to rename the .ost and reopen outlook (making a new .ost).

Usually, We don't recommend repairing an offline Outlook Data File, so if the offline data file isn't usable, we may recreate it. See this article for more information about how to recreate an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).

By the way, have you checked if the issue can be reproduced on other computers? Sorry but since my knowledge about MBAM is limited, personally I’d like to encourage you also post in the dedicated forum for MBAM to see if others who use MBAM have encountered the similar situation.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

It's hard to tell how the .ost file was corrupted, whatever be the reasons behind OST corruption you can use Inbox Repair Tool(SCANPST.EXE) or OST Repair tool to repair OST file and make OST file accessible in Outlook. Please also make sure there is no virus or malware affecting the .ost.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check how is everything going with this issue?

Regard,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 6:51 AM
  • I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. 

I have installed MBAM on 19 computers, and all of them (except for like 3) have run into this issue. The repair .ost prompt comes up after it says it is corrupted, however when doing that Outlook opens, but does not update. 

There is no error message other than it says it is a corrupt .ost file

Thanks,

• Edited by MrSandland Monday, December 11, 2017 5:18 PM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Windows 10 Enterprise

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393. 1884)

Monday, December 11, 2017 5:19 PM
  • I told you, EFS and bitlocker had a problem which was patched, recently.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051033

"Addressed issue where, during BitLocker decryption or encryption of a drive, files protected with the Encrypting File System (EFS) may become corrupted."

And your version 14393. 1884 shows, you have not installed that  update...

----

Please note that installing that update will not repair that file. It will only prevent that to re-appear.

• Proposed as answer by Ronald Schilf Monday, December 11, 2017 6:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by MrSandland Monday, December 11, 2017 7:28 PM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:08 PM