Siren Ilo freezes Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I originally (accidentally) posted this is the Vista forum, hoping someone can help.

I have a Siren Ilo mp3 player (bought from Walmart in June) and a Compaq Presario with Windows XP.  The mp3 player worked until a week ago when a friend of mine did disk clean up and defrag and some updates.  Now, every time I plug it in, it freezes up everything.  If I try to put files on the player, the box saying "transfer" comes up but never finshes and the only way to unfreeze my computer is to unplug it (because I can't even click on "safely remove hardware").  I called Siren and they said the problem is the computer, not the player, because we troubleshooted it.  The computer won't even let me reformat it (again, it never finishes the task).  I have called HP tech support but keep getting various foreign (East Indian?) tech people who barely speaks English and have very heavy accents, making them hard to understand.  Instead of helping they keep trying to sell me another warranty saying that mine is expiring in ten days (I have a three year warranty on the computer and have only had the computer for a year).

The installation disk doesn't help because it's for Windows 98.  XP should automatically recognize and install without software (which it did when I first got it).  It used to come up as "Siren" under "burn/device" but now says "F:/ removeable storage".  It won't let me uninstall it because there is no option for that.  There is nothing on the player's menu to help.  I have tried it with Real Player (which worked before), Windows Media 10 and 11, and even tried transfering the files directly from file to player file.  It just stops everything running.

Help GREATLY appreciated because the player belongs to my 12 year old daughter and she's upset because I wiped out all her My Chemical Romance files!     

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:45 PM

All replies

• Update...

I think I know what the problem is but need to know an override to fix it.

When I check the disk space on the player it is all blue (used space) and no pink (free space) but both say 0 used.  I need to reformat but the computer isn't letting me do it.  Any back door methods of doing this?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:38 PM