none
Project Server was unable to find the specified resource RRS feed

• Question

• We had saved an MPP from Server and edited it offline (Save As, not Save for Sharing). When we attempted to Save As back to the original server location, we got "Project Server was unable to find the specified resource". The identity of the problematic resource remained a secret known only to Microsoft.

After a couple hours of effort, I found the problem resource. This resource had been converted to enterprise after having actual work applied. In such a case, we rename the preserved local resource with "Do Not Assign" tacked on the name and then carry on with the enterprise resource.

I find I can only get past the Save As error by removing the Do Not Assign local resource from all tasks, but then we lose our record of the work this person has done to date. I did try swapping in the matching enterprise resource on each of those tasks, but the resulting Work and Actual Work for the resource ended up as 0.

Is there any remedy for this - can we change the identity of the resource who performed work on a completed task?

Friday, June 6, 2014 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you don't use the timesheet neither the task update feature, I do not see any blocking point for entering manually actual work in the past for the new (enterprise) resource, delete it from the local one and remove the local resource.

Using the task usage view, you can easily make a copy-paste from one to another line with work and/or actual work.

Did I misunderstand something?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by WBCO1 Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:54 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 2:42 PM

All replies

• If you use PWA for team member timesheets or updates, you have a bigger problem. When resaving back to Project Server all GUIDs will be changed as PS considers the project to be new.

If you need to continue this process then delete the do not assign resource after re-assigning any remaining work for it. Then import back.

You can change the name of any resource, even with actual work in Project Pro then import.

Is there a reason for not using save for sharing? That method is better and preserves GUIDs.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, June 6, 2014 11:17 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I have your wonderful VBA book right here on my desk, so it's great to hear from you.

On this project, we're not doing PWA task updates, and we don't use the timesheet feature. However, it's good to know your tip on that.

As for reassigning the remaining work of the Do Not Assign (local) resource, that was done - the corresponding enterprise resource now has that work. However, if I remove the Do Not Assign resource from a task, his completed work goes to 0 and, I think, the actual work for the other resources gets bumped up to fill the gap. thus, we lose our record of the work he's already completed. That was the reason for keeping the orphaned local resource around.

If we can get past this issue, we'll definitely use Save for Sharing in future. We are sharing this MPP with a partner, who makes updates that we then import back.

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

Since you don't use the timesheet neither the task update feature, I do not see any blocking point for entering manually actual work in the past for the new (enterprise) resource, delete it from the local one and remove the local resource.

Using the task usage view, you can easily make a copy-paste from one to another line with work and/or actual work.

Did I misunderstand something?

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by WBCO1 Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:54 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 2:42 PM
  • That works for us, thanks. We are able to update actual work in the usage view so that the enterprise resource takes those hours from the corresponding local resource.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:57 PM
  • You're more than welcome!

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:00 PM