Value in Person Group field disappearing when user has left company and list item is being updated RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am not 100% sure this is the right forum for my question, but please bear with me if it is not.

Recently I discovered that the value in a person/group field on a list had disappeared for some items, but not for other items that had the same person as value.

After a bit of investigation I came to the conclusion that: If an item had a value in a person field and if that person was disabled in AD then the value in the item was removed if the item was updated via the sharepoint interface even if the update was related to another field. 

Can anyone please confirm if this is the default behavior for SP?
    And if Yes: is there a setting I can make in SP to ensure that the value in the person field has to be directly removed by the end users?

thanks in advance

br

Hans Jørgen

Bispen

Friday, May 30, 2014 8:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Hans,

Which version of SharePoint you are using, SharePoing 2007 or SharePoint 2010?

Find a similar case internally, which is described as a user cannot edit a list item if the list contains a custom column of type "Person or Group" with a user account that has been disabled.

In SharePoint 2010 we have designed the "Person or Group" field to always maintain a valid reference to a user object. It is intentional that any change to a "Person or Group" field be validated against an active user or group which can be referenced by other parts of SharePoint 2010 or 3rd party applications.

If you have enabled version history for your list, you may check version history to see if there is any log of person field modificaiton by end users.

Thanks,

Daniel Yang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bispen Monday, June 2, 2014 10:49 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Hans,

Which version of SharePoint you are using, SharePoing 2007 or SharePoint 2010?

Find a similar case internally, which is described as a user cannot edit a list item if the list contains a custom column of type "Person or Group" with a user account that has been disabled.

In SharePoint 2010 we have designed the "Person or Group" field to always maintain a valid reference to a user object. It is intentional that any change to a "Person or Group" field be validated against an active user or group which can be referenced by other parts of SharePoint 2010 or 3rd party applications.

If you have enabled version history for your list, you may check version history to see if there is any log of person field modificaiton by end users.

Thanks,

Daniel Yang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bispen Monday, June 2, 2014 10:49 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks for your answer. We are currently using SP 2007 but will move to 2010 over the summer. I cannot find the post you describe but when I think about it it makes good sense that when a user opens the item to edit it the person group field cannot be resubmitted with the old value. The problem is that (I experimented a bit with it) when the item is opend in edit mode the value in the persongroup field has simply been cleared and the user does not realise this when the edit one or more of the other fields :-).

But as said it makes sense and I will se what workarounds we can come up with.

thanks

br Hans Jørgen :-)

Bispen

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:55 AM