Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Last night before shutting down my Dell XPS 410 desk-top computer, I noticed that a Windows update was avaiable, so I clicked on the prompt and the message which appeared indicated that the update would be installed and my computer would then shut down.  This morning, my computer would not boot up!!  Therefore, I tried to use the Installation Disk that came with my computer, and in the window that appeared, I selected "Repair Your Computer" at the lower left.  In the System Recovery Options window which appeared, I selected Microsoft Windows Vista on the C: Drive and clicked on Next.  Then, I selected the first option under Choose a Recovery Tool, ie., Startup Repair.  When the repair attempt was finished, I saw the window which said "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".  I looked under "View diagnostic and repair details, and scrolled to the bottom of the resulting window.  It said that the registry was corrupt!!  (Heaven forbid!!!).  I am afraid to use the System Restore option, because, AT ALL COST, I DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE NEARLY 450 GB OF FILES I HAVE ON THIS COMPUTER!!!  PLEASE HELP!!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• Don't worry about it, System Restore will only restore system files. All the software and documents will remain safe. When you are prompted to do a System Restore, it should tell you that your documents will not be deleted.

The one that deletes everything is called "restore factory settings", just make sure you don't choose that. 

Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:26 AM