More Outlook Category Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a contact group so I can send an email just to that group. I already have my contacts sorted into catagories. I want to create a group of one of my categories. How can I pick the entire category and not one person at a time from a list that is not sorted. Really? 
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:28 AM

Answers

• I am trying to create a contact group so I can send an email just to that group. I already have my contacts sorted into catagories. I want to create a group of one of my categories. How can I pick the entire category and not one person at a time from a list that is not sorted. Really? 

Hi,

Generally, there is no method to directly created a contact group based on a specific category.

Fortunately, we can try the following steps as a workaround:

1. In your Contact folder, click View > Change View > List.

2. On the View tab, in the Arrangement group, click Categories. Then the contact list would be grouped by different categories.

3. Press Shift and click the First and Last items to select all calendar items under a specific category, right-click them, select Move > Copy to Folder...

4. In the Copy Items window, click New to create a new contact folder (Test1) under your default Contact folder.

5. Select the new created folder (Test1), click OK. Then these categories contacts would be copied to a specific folder.

6. In the Home tab, click New Contact Group, select Add Members > From Outlook Contacts, select all items under the new contact folder Test1 to Members.

7. Click OK and Name the group, then click Save&Close.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:34 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:48 AM

Hi,

Generally, there is no method to directly created a contact group based on a specific category.

Fortunately, we can try the following steps as a workaround:

1. In your Contact folder, click View > Change View > List.

2. On the View tab, in the Arrangement group, click Categories. Then the contact list would be grouped by different categories.

3. Press Shift and click the First and Last items to select all calendar items under a specific category, right-click them, select Move > Copy to Folder...

4. In the Copy Items window, click New to create a new contact folder (Test1) under your default Contact folder.

5. Select the new created folder (Test1), click OK. Then these categories contacts would be copied to a specific folder.

6. In the Home tab, click New Contact Group, select Add Members > From Outlook Contacts, select all items under the new contact folder Test1 to Members.

7. Click OK and Name the group, then click Save&Close.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:34 AM