Configuring Internal and External Virtual Directories for Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016 Coexistence Temporarily RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm sorry I can't find a clear answer on how exactly to do this. I currently have exchange 2010 server using the virtual directories mail.<domain>.com    /owa and /ecp. I want my new Exchange 2016 server to use the same virtual directories, however I want to migrate all the mailboxes to the new server then cut over, but I need mail to work perfectly during the migration process.

Mail flow is working fine, but there is a ssl error for outlook users that I have migrated to the new mailbox database, because I haven't configured the virtual directories and set up ssl yet because I'm not sure how to handle this exactly.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

Did you configure your urls on exchange 2016 to be the same as exchange 2010 and import your ssl certificate and change the bindings in IIS to the SSL certificate?

Mail should work without an issue. Change your DNS to the 2016 server and add it to your send connector or create a new send connector if you need to.

you can migrate users at will, you are using the same namespace. they will only get prompted when the move is complete.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

You can set the same FQDN mail.domain.com for internal/external URL values on Exchange 2016 virtual directories, and change the A record to make mail.domain.com point to Exchange 2016. If you want to use different URLs for Exchange 2016, you have create new A record to point to Exchange 2016.

You can export the certificate from Exchange 2010 or create a new cert to included all needed host names for Exchange 2016, then assign this cert to the POP, IMAP, IIS, and SMTP services. 

If you want to know more configuration for coexist environment, you can use Exchange Deployment Assistant to get more details.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hi

Did you configure your urls on exchange 2016 to be the same as exchange 2010 and import your ssl certificate and change the bindings in IIS to the SSL certificate?

Mail should work without an issue. Change your DNS to the 2016 server and add it to your send connector or create a new send connector if you need to.

you can migrate users at will, you are using the same namespace. they will only get prompted when the move is complete.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

You can set the same FQDN mail.domain.com for internal/external URL values on Exchange 2016 virtual directories, and change the A record to make mail.domain.com point to Exchange 2016. If you want to use different URLs for Exchange 2016, you have create new A record to point to Exchange 2016.

You can export the certificate from Exchange 2010 or create a new cert to included all needed host names for Exchange 2016, then assign this cert to the POP, IMAP, IIS, and SMTP services. 

If you want to know more configuration for coexist environment, you can use Exchange Deployment Assistant to get more details.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:16 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi Jgrissom15,

Did you use Exchange Deployment Assistant tool?

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, December 2, 2019 9:06 AM