none
Install DPM on Virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small domain for my business, that I want to start backing up. I heard good things about DPM and thought I'd give it a go. I don't have a lot of experience with system administrator work which is why I am in this forum.

I basically run all of my servers virtually off of a physical server running WS2012R2 hyper-v. Currently all I have is a domain controller and the hyper-v server is joined to the domain hosted by the DC. I am not sure if this is ideal, I do have problems every time I install updates on the DC as I need to turn off the secure boot while updating. This is manageable however. To install DPM I believe I need to set up a couple of more servers, such as a SQL server and a DPM server. I have a 24TB NAS configured in Raid 5 which I was going to use as my storage space.

I don't really want to do all of the above work only to find out it's not worth it in the end, or that I am missing something. Let's assume that everything is installed and I do backups of servers and clients, and disaster hits. I am thinking either my server running DPM or my physical server crash and needs to be rebuilt then what? I foresee a big issue if the physical server crash as I in that scenario will have lost ability to run any of my virtual servers including the DPM server; in this scenario how would I restore any backups?

Any advice would be helpful, is there another product I should be looking at instead is DPM to much for what I really need?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:02 PM

All replies