Vista Install Error...File:\Boot\BCD Status:0xc000000e RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

My Computer Configuration:

Motherboard   : ASUS Striker Extreme - Intel Socket 775 - NVIDIA nForce® 680i SLI™
    Processor        : Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E6850 (3.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    Graphics Card  : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR3 (PV-T80G-THF9)
    Memory           : Kingston Dual-Channel 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2 each 2GB)(KVR800D2N5K2/4G) x 2 total 8GB
    Hard Drive       : Western Digital - WD Caviar GP 1 TB SATA Hard Drives (WD10EACS)
    Case                : Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Galaxy II Black Tower
    Power Supply  : Cute 1010 WATT Power Supply

When I try to install Vista Ultimate, I get following error message everytime I restart, and I have tried almost everything but could not succeed to overcome this error.

I tried starting off with 2GB only, tried installing on another smaller HDD of 400GB Sata... etc... etc...

This is the error message I get;

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
    cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows Installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next"
    3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
    manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi again Guozhen,

When one thing goes wrong all the rest starts to go wrong as well!!! I've been struggling with the internet connection so could not reply.. Sorry for that.

I want to start off by giving more detailed information which might be of help... The ASUS motherboard that I used has only 1 IDE connection and 6 SATA connections on it. And as I had 3 CD/DVD Rom Drives I could only connect 1 of them to this IDE port.

When I started the Vista Ultimate 64bit setup, I was getting the error, and whatever I tried did not work. I was also suspecting a BIOS setup problem but could not find out anything... As you had also mentioned the SATA HDD is my second boot device where the CD/DVD Rom was chosen as the first...

Then I suspected maybe it could not see the CD/DVD Rom from that specific IDE connection. I have another desktop at home where it had a RAID controller card installed on it. This card had 2 IDE connections where itself connects to an ISA port on the motherboard. So I took this card out from the old and installed on the new PC. I attached the CD/DVD Rom to one of the IDE ports on this card and as soon as I did this, I had the Windows setup running!!! But this time I have another problem... Sad

I get following error message;

"This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Then I tried following commands;

Changing Drives, and the Boot Sector on Vista

boot the computer with your Vista instalation DVD.
    Select your language and keyboard and click next
    select recovery councel
    open the Command prompt.
    x:\sources>Diskpart.exe
    Diskpart> Select Disk=0
    Diskpart> Select Partition=1
    Diskpart> Active
    Diskpart> exit
    X:\sources>X:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 C: /force (This command did not work!!)
    x:\sources>bootrec /fixmbr
    x:\sources>bootrec /fixboot
    X:\sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd (your suggestion)
    x:\sources>exit

Now reboot the pc booting again with the vista instalation DVD

Other than the one which did not work, all the rest gave "the operation completed succesfuly". I retried the Vista installation but this time I keep getting following error!!!!

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

This time I'm stuck with this message... Sad

HELP ME PLEASEEEEE!!!

Sunday, December 2, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

This error message indicated that the computer doesn't found any CD/DVD driver, please refer to the mainboard's user's manual for correct settings:

Striker Extreme English Edition User's Manual(e2898)
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Stricker%20Extreme/e2898_striker-extreme.pdf

Hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:36 AM
  • Hi Guozhen,

Thank you so much for the kind help!!

Yes the problem has been sorted out... All your suggestions were helpful from the very start!!

I also noticed 2 more problems that I had to sort out in order to have my Vista 64bit up and running.

First thing was that I noticed that one of the pins on the RAID Controller card had gone inside, but was not actually broken. So when I pushed it from the other end back to its original location, the below error message did not come back.

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

Second thing that I noticed was that when I tried to install Vista to a 1TB HDD, it could not locate the HDD... So my solution was to do two partitions (as 600GB and 500GB) on this drive through another pc's help. 

At last my Vista setup started to work all fine without any more error messages!!! Smile

I wanted to share it with you guys for anyone who might face similar problems.

Gouzhen, thanks alot mate for being there from the very start in solving the problems!!! Appreicate your help!!

Cheers,

Ugur

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest checking the BIOS settings. Make sure the hard drive were listed in BIOS's bootable devices.

Also you may like to rebuild BCD store with following steps:

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device. If you are unsure how to change this BIOS setting, please contact the computer manufacturer for more information.

1. When prompted to press a key to boot from the CD or DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    2. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".
    3. Highlight the item related to Windows Vista and click "Next".
    4. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

5. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

I hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:01 AM
  • Hi Guozhen,

Thank you for the advice.. I really appreciate that!!! I felt as if my hands were all tied up since 1 week now... It's made me go nuts!!!! Spend all that money to build a great PC but ended up with this stupid problem!! Smile

I'm at work right now, but first thing when I reach home, I'll try your advice and notify you if it works for me or not.

Thanks and kind regards,

Ugur

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:13 AM
  • Hi again Guozhen,

When one thing goes wrong all the rest starts to go wrong as well!!! I've been struggling with the internet connection so could not reply.. Sorry for that.

I want to start off by giving more detailed information which might be of help... The ASUS motherboard that I used has only 1 IDE connection and 6 SATA connections on it. And as I had 3 CD/DVD Rom Drives I could only connect 1 of them to this IDE port.

When I started the Vista Ultimate 64bit setup, I was getting the error, and whatever I tried did not work. I was also suspecting a BIOS setup problem but could not find out anything... As you had also mentioned the SATA HDD is my second boot device where the CD/DVD Rom was chosen as the first...

Then I suspected maybe it could not see the CD/DVD Rom from that specific IDE connection. I have another desktop at home where it had a RAID controller card installed on it. This card had 2 IDE connections where itself connects to an ISA port on the motherboard. So I took this card out from the old and installed on the new PC. I attached the CD/DVD Rom to one of the IDE ports on this card and as soon as I did this, I had the Windows setup running!!! But this time I have another problem... Sad

I get following error message;

"This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Then I tried following commands;

Changing Drives, and the Boot Sector on Vista

boot the computer with your Vista instalation DVD.
    Select your language and keyboard and click next
    select recovery councel
    open the Command prompt.
    x:\sources>Diskpart.exe
    Diskpart> Select Disk=0
    Diskpart> Select Partition=1
    Diskpart> Active
    Diskpart> exit
    X:\sources>X:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 C: /force (This command did not work!!)
    x:\sources>bootrec /fixmbr
    x:\sources>bootrec /fixboot
    X:\sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd (your suggestion)
    x:\sources>exit

Now reboot the pc booting again with the vista instalation DVD

Other than the one which did not work, all the rest gave "the operation completed succesfuly". I retried the Vista installation but this time I keep getting following error!!!!

This time I'm stuck with this message... Sad

HELP ME PLEASEEEEE!!!

Sunday, December 2, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

This error message indicated that the computer doesn't found any CD/DVD driver, please refer to the mainboard's user's manual for correct settings:

Striker Extreme English Edition User's Manual(e2898)
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Stricker%20Extreme/e2898_striker-extreme.pdf

Hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:43 AM
  • Hi Guozhen,

Thank you so much for the kind help!!

Yes the problem has been sorted out... All your suggestions were helpful from the very start!!

I also noticed 2 more problems that I had to sort out in order to have my Vista 64bit up and running.

First thing was that I noticed that one of the pins on the RAID Controller card had gone inside, but was not actually broken. So when I pushed it from the other end back to its original location, the below error message did not come back.

Second thing that I noticed was that when I tried to install Vista to a 1TB HDD, it could not locate the HDD... So my solution was to do two partitions (as 600GB and 500GB) on this drive through another pc's help. 

At last my Vista setup started to work all fine without any more error messages!!! Smile

I wanted to share it with you guys for anyone who might face similar problems.

Gouzhen, thanks alot mate for being there from the very start in solving the problems!!! Appreicate your help!!

Cheers,

Ugur

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experenice here.

I am happy to know your issue was resolved.

Hope you have a nice journey with Windows Vista.

Sincerely,

Guozhen Wang

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:58 AM
  •  Guo-Zhen Wang - MSFT wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experenice here.

I am happy to know your issue was resolved.

Hope you have a nice journey with Windows Vista.

Sincerely,

Guozhen Wang

Hello

I have the same problem with XPe and USB flash drive

I have create USB bootable from using diskpart on Vista and WinPe 2.0 on XPP machine

Can someone Help me to pinpoint the problem here?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your question.

I would suggest that perform a startup repair at first, below is the steps:

Startup Repair
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Also, please check your BIOS settings and make sure your harddisk were listed in bootable devices.

And there is a helpful article, for your reference:

HOWTO: Install Windows Vista from a high speed USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    http://kurtsh.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!DA410C7F7E038D!1665.entry

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:45 AM
  •  

I have tried to do this several times and unfortunately rather then giving me options for language it just starts to try and boot into vista.  When the little update thing that moves to the right goes away when it would be going to show the user account the screen just goes blank and never comes back

I have tried this many different ways.  Whenever I boot from the CD it says windows is loading files and then looks like it's trying to boot vista.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my vista disk to give me the proper options?

Thanks,

Friday, May 9, 2008 4:29 AM
  •  

My error code was the same as the one above, but the message I received states, "The selected entry could not be loaded because application is missing or corrupt." /windows/system32/winload.exe

When I repair this system with the Vista CD, is my hard drive going to lose the current data that I have stored?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:58 AM
  • hi

my name adefiq

i have a problem with my notebook

my notebook acer aspire 2920Z,intel pentium dual core T2370(1,73GHz,533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache),memory 512 MB DDR2, hd 120 GB HDD, bios phoenix

have i problem with windows boot manager

file:\Boot\BCD

can you help me?

thanks before
    Monday, November 17, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

my adefiq

I have a problem with my notebook

my notebook
    Acer Aspire 2920Z intel pentium dual core processor T2370(1,73 GHz, 533 MHzbfsb, 1 MB l2 cache) memory 512 MHz, hd 120 GB HDD, bios Phoenix

the problem is "windows boot manager"

file :\Boot\BCD

can you help me...thaks

Monday, November 17, 2008 12:22 PM
  • I have recieved this error as well when I installed programs that require a reboot this has also happened from normal restarts or regular shutdowns. I have enabled AHCI in the BIOs for the sata controllers then, installed Vista 64 bit loading the drivers off the MSI CD to insure the installation completes successfully. I had the system checked for hardware failure or incorrect configurations from a quialified service and everything checked out ok so I can only assume it was from the AHCI.

My Computer setup:

Motherboard: MSI K9N2 Diamond nForce 780a Socket AM2+ MB
    Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 4MB Socket AM2+
    Soundcard: Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe
    Hard Drives: 3x WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G connected to Sata II ports 1,2,&3
    Optical Drive: Lite-On 4x Blu Ray Burner Internal OEM connected to Sata II port 4
    Optical Drive: Lite-ON DVDRW 20X SATA w/Lightscribe Retail connected to Sata II port 5
    Videocard: 2x GeForce 9600 GT OC Dual Fly 1GB PCIe in SLI config
    Memory: OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (4x2048MB)
    PSU: OCZ 850w GameXStream Power Supply (SLI-Ready)

Only thing I have yet to try is the rebuild BCD option but  i am worried that  it will only do this again on the next boot. Is this a problem only with Nvidia chipsets or am I missing something?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Do also have this problem everytime vista 64 restarts after update etc. or "suspends". If I manually choose to turn off system (not restart or suspend) It's all OK. Have tried to figure this out in almost a year now. If I repair via Windows DVD the problem returns with the next automatic (manual) restart 7 suspend session.. Boot\Bcd....   missing,

When I manually tries to rebuild Bcd it's write protected...

I hope there is an better solution then Using repairdisk with every restart...Because that's NOT a solution to the problem.

All drivers Bios etc Is up to date.

Motherboard: Asus M3A32-MVP DLX/WIFI, AMD 790FX,DDR2

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2
    Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
    Hard Drives: Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB SATA2 Onbord ATI SATA II
    Optical Drive: Samsung DVD-brenner SH-S202H IDE Onboard IDE
    Videocard: Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4

Memory: Kingston DDR2 HyperX PC8500 2048MB CL5,(4x1024MB)
    PSU: Gigabyte Powersupply 800W Black, ATX/EPS

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:02 PM