none
DPM 2012 SP1 Tape Labels RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running off Long-Term tape backups in DPM 2012 SP1 according to our weekly, monthly and yearly goals, however, I noticed that the tape labels defined in the "Customize Recovery Goal" section of the Protection Group settings (e.g. Data Services - Physical Machines-LT-1Weeks-Copy0) are not being applied to the tape label. Instead, the default labels are being applied (e.g. Data Services - Physical Machines-00000023). This makes it hard to see which tapes are being used for which backups.

I've been kicking off the Long Term backups using Mike's PowerShell script here:

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4d9e8f47-33b6-4f57-82fa-6d25f6c43d80/how-to-manage-tapes-for-weekly-and-monthly-lt-backups-and-a-single-drive

Is there any way to resolve this? I have tried removing all the old tapes, putting new ones in and kicking off the LT backups again but still no customized labels.

Any ideas/thoughts gratefully received!

Geoff

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I did a test and I deleted an entry from the tbl_MM_VaultLabel – so that mimicked your condition.  I then modified the PG and under the customize, I completely changed the label name and continued with the wizard.  When it completed, I reran the script and a new entry was added to the tbl_MM_VaultLabel for that mediapoolID.

So explicitly changing the label should update / write a new entry for it in the tbl_MM_VaultLabel table.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Geebee8 Monday, October 14, 2013 10:28 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The labels configured and that should be used are in the following table. The same label should be seen when running the backuptotape.ps1 script.

See what that table shows in SQL management studio. 

select * from tbl_MM_VaultLabel

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Running select * from tbl_MM_VaultLabel only displays 3 Vault Labels - "SQL Cluster-LT-1Years", "SQL Cluster-LT-1Months", "SQL Cluster-LT-1Weeks"

I also noticed that the backuptotape.ps1 script doesn't show the labels for the other protection groups - only for the "SQL Cluster" protection group as above.

Looks as though the custom labels haven't been appended to tbl_MM_VaultLabel?

Geoff

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

OK, Only Long Term tape goals allow you to change the tape label. Short term goals get default tape labels.

Below query will show this.

Select FriendlyName, MediapoolId from bbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup
    where mediapoolid is not NULL

select pg.FriendlyName,pg.MediapoolId,VL.Generation,vl.Vault,vl.VaultLabel from tbl_MM_VaultLabel VL
    join dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup PG on pg.MediapoolId = VL.MediaPoolId

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Many thanks for getting back so quickly.

I have double checked the protection groups and the goals are set to Long Term.

Running the queries that you gave show all of the protection groups:

Data Services - Physical Machines
    IT Services - Virtual Machines - Linux
    IT Services - Physical Machines
    Data Services - Virtual Machines - Linux
    DPM Server
    NS SQL Cluster
    NS SharePoint Farm
    IT Services - Virtual Machines - Windows
    Data Services - Virtual Machines - Windows

And then the tape labels:

NS SQL Cluster XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX 0 1 SQL Cluster-LT-1Years-Copy0
    NS SQL Cluster XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX 1 1 SQL Cluster-LT-1Months-Copy0
    NS SQL Cluster XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX 2 1 SQL Cluster-LT-1Weeks-Copy0

Here is the output from backuptotape.ps1:

________________________________________________________________________________________

Protection Group               Term       Goal            Tape Label
         ------------------------------ ---------- --------------- --------------
     1 - Data Services - Physical Machines Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
     2 - Data Services - Physical Machines Long-Term  Recovery Goal 2
     3 - Data Services - Physical Machines Long-Term  Recovery Goal 3
     4 - Data Services - Virtual Machines - Linux Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
     5 - Data Services - Virtual Machines - Linux Long-Term  Recovery Goal 2
     6 - Data Services - Virtual Machines - Linux Long-Term  Recovery Goal 3
     7 - Data Services - Virtual Machines - Windows Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
     8 - Data Services - Virtual Machines - Windows Long-Term  Recovery Goal 2
     9 - Data Services - Virtual Machines - Windows Long-Term  Recovery Goal 3
    10 - DPM Server                     Short-term
    11 - DPM Server                     Short-term Recovery Goal 1
    12 - IT Services - Physical Machines Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
    13 - IT Services - Virtual Machines - Linux Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
    14 - IT Services - Virtual Machines - Windows Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
    15 - NS SharePoint Farm             Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1
    16 - NS SharePoint Farm             Long-Term  Recovery Goal 2
    17 - NS SharePoint Farm             Long-Term  Recovery Goal 3
    18 - NS SQL Cluster                 Long-Term  Recovery Goal 1 SQL Cluster-LT-1Weeks-Copy0
    19 - NS SQL Cluster                 Long-Term  Recovery Goal 2 SQL Cluster-LT-1Months-Copy0
    20 - NS SQL Cluster                 Long-Term  Recovery Goal 3 SQL Cluster-LT-1Years-Copy0

________________________________________________________________________________________

Lines 18-20 are long tern goals that show the correct tape labels - the other long term recovery goals have no labels (Lines 1-9, 12-17). 

Sorry - I'm running out of ideas and appreciate the help.

Kind regards,

Geoff

• Marked as answer by Geebee8 Friday, September 27, 2013 2:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Geebee8 Friday, October 11, 2013 11:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

OK - that is not the complete output of the script I asked you to run, but that is probably do to my typo in the first script, sorry about that (I updated it below to help narrow down the cause).  But it's probably safe to say that the tbl_MM_VaultLabel does not have an entry for each long term mediapoolID returned in the first script.

For each mediapoolID returned from the first script, we should have one or more entries in the second script.

Select FriendlyName, MP.MediaPoolId from dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup PG
    join  dbo.tbl_MM_Mediapool MP on MP.MediaPoolId = pg.MediapoolId
    where MP.MediaPoolId is not NULL and MP.OnsiteFatherRetentionPeriod is NULL

select pg.FriendlyName,pg.MediapoolId,VL.Generation,vl.Vault,vl.VaultLabel from tbl_MM_VaultLabel VL
    join dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup PG on pg.MediapoolId = VL.MediaPoolId

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm afraid that the output is complete, unless I'm doing something wrong (please see attached screen grab).

You are right - the tbl_MM_VaultLabel is incomplete. Although in the time between first posting and now, it seems that one on the entries (IT Services...) has been updated.

The tape backups are due to run over the weekend, I'll see what happens then.

Can I manually add the tape labels into the table tbl_MM_VaultLabel?

Many thanks,

Geoff

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Ah - sorry, I missed off the mediapoolID in my original post. Hope the screenshot helps.

Geoff

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Right, LT tap backs run but labels still not showing in tbl_MM_VaultLabel.

Anyone have any ideas? I am reluctant to try and add in the labels manually into the table without a second opinion!

Many thanks,

Geoff

Friday, October 11, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

I did a test and I deleted an entry from the tbl_MM_VaultLabel – so that mimicked your condition.  I then modified the PG and under the customize, I completely changed the label name and continued with the wizard.  When it completed, I reran the script and a new entry was added to the tbl_MM_VaultLabel for that mediapoolID.

So explicitly changing the label should update / write a new entry for it in the tbl_MM_VaultLabel table.  

• Marked as answer by Geebee8 Monday, October 14, 2013 10:28 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 2:23 PM