none
Is there a shortcut to link a series of tasks to another series of tasks without doing them 1 at a time? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project that is migrating a number of locations (about 50) to a new technology.

For each task that needs to be completed at each of the locations I created a reoccuring task and modified the title to reflect Site A, Site B etc. Quick and Easy.

However I would like  to create links between several of the reoccuring tasks so that I have something like.

Task 1

Id 54- Task 1 - Site A

Id 55- Task 1 - Site B

Task 2

ID105- Task 2 - Site A - link to 54

ID 106- Task 2 - Site B - link to 55

I can link them one at a time but if there is a way to shorten this effort , I would love to use that method instead.

Thank you,

Juliet

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:07 PM

Answers

• Thank you John - I wanted to make sure I was not missing some trick that everyone knew but me ;)

Project User - Yes it is reoccuring in the aspect that the task is required at every site  we migrate.

For example Task 1 might be "Rack Servers"

Task 1 reoccurs at every site we migrate.

What I did to shorten the dataentry was make Task 1 a reoccuring task that occurs every 2 weeks.

Then I went to Excel where I have a column for each site name (New York, Chicago etc) and another column that contains "-Rack Servers"

In the 3rd column I created a CONCATENATE formula that combines the two columns and I did a copy and paste of text into project replacing the Task 1 - 50.

Saved me about 3hrs of tenious work for this one project plan.  We have several projects that are similar, implementing technology to remote offices.  So this will add much to my sanity :)

Thank you,

Juliet

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:52 PM

All replies

• Juliet,

Well it depends on how much effort you want to invest in a "quicker" method than just biting the bullet and doing it manually. If you have a lot of similar tasks to link a couple of thoughts come to mind. One is to use a flag field to identify all the successors of a given task. Then create a filter for that flag. Link the fist one and then use a fill-down of the Predecessor field for the rest.

If the structure isn't quite that "tidy", you could probably automate the process with some VBA, but the effort to develop the code would likely take longer than simply linking manually.

Another process that comes to mind is a drag-and-drop approach wherein you get the tasks you want linked (via filter, sort or grouping) and then click, hold and drag to link the Gantt bars as desired.

John

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:22 PM
  • >> I created a reoccuring task

Is it a recurring task ?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Juliet,

If the logic of the project will allow you to do this, you create the relationships between two sites, then copy and paste these down in the file or create them as new tasks in a new file.  You could also create a template (by saving the first one as a template) and simply open it up then change the names to match the sites.

If the relationships and dependencies are different for every site, then I recommend John's method of filtering and linking.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Thank you John - I wanted to make sure I was not missing some trick that everyone knew but me ;)

Project User - Yes it is reoccuring in the aspect that the task is required at every site  we migrate.

For example Task 1 might be "Rack Servers"

Task 1 reoccurs at every site we migrate.

What I did to shorten the dataentry was make Task 1 a reoccuring task that occurs every 2 weeks.

Then I went to Excel where I have a column for each site name (New York, Chicago etc) and another column that contains "-Rack Servers"

In the 3rd column I created a CONCATENATE formula that combines the two columns and I did a copy and paste of text into project replacing the Task 1 - 50.

Saved me about 3hrs of tenious work for this one project plan.  We have several projects that are similar, implementing technology to remote offices.  So this will add much to my sanity :)

Thank you,

Juliet

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Hi Gregg,
    I think your approach might be a viable option.  A different way of looking at it , that could certainly accomplish the same goal.

Off to go give it a try.   My carpal tunnel thanks you ;)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:15 PM