none
MS Project 2013 - Impacts to Resource Loading After Status has been Entered RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

MS Project 2013 user (not technical expert). We create schedules and often begin entering status before Resources are loaded. I've noticed that when partial status is entered (i.e., Actual Start and a % Complete less than 100), and then we load Resources, the Resource values seem to change as % Complete increases. We use Fixed Duration, as regardless of the number of Resources applied to a task, the task must finish within that timeframe. I'm trying to explain something to other people that I don't fully understand myself. What are the impacts to Resource Loading after Status has been entered? What are the impacts to Status if Resources are loaded while the task is in-progress?

Thank you, Julie

Thursday, March 1, 2018 3:20 PM

All replies

• Julie_K,

Just curious, how can you have a non-zero percent complete on a task that has no resources assigned (i.e. where did the effort come from)?

If you create a fixed duration task with no resources and then declare a percent complete, adding a resource after the fact will "front load" that resource effort as if it started at the beginning of the task. However, if you then update the status and then add more resources Project will re-distribute the remaining work across all resources. That work will be spread linearly to the end of the task however, the user can manually adjust each resource's work via the Resource Usage or Task Usage view.

Suggestion, set up your plan and assign planned resources BEFORE starting any effort. Then, if you need to add more resources to meet the fixed duration, do that as necessary.

Hope this helps.

John
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Hello John,

Actually, this is the first client I've worked for that has used the Resource-loading function in MS Project. Most of my clients have just used the scheduling features (Dates, Durations, Preds/Succs, and custom fields) and skipped Resource-loading. Thank you for your input!

Julie

Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:31 PM
  • Julie_K,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If I answered your question please consider marking one of my responses as the answer.

John

Thursday, March 1, 2018 5:34 PM
  • Julie,

If your clients aren't using the resources loading then they are missing out.

I would remove the status (0%) , assign the resources, and re-do the status.

Or skip resourcing the tasks in progress and assign resources to the ones that haven't started yet.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 11:59 PM
  • Hello Trevor,

We know about removing the status, resourcing, and then re-entering status. What I'm looking for is a better understanding of what/how things happen. What are the impacts to Resource Loading after Status has been entered? What are the impacts to Status if Resources are loaded while the task is in-progress?

Thank you, Julie

Friday, March 2, 2018 6:11 PM
  • Julie_K,

I thought I explained what happens. Do you still have a question?

John

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:20 PM
  • Hello John,

Is that everything that happens? I was just checking for other points of view. Thank you!

Julie

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:32 PM
  • Julie,

What I would do if I was you.

Whatever it is that you are trying to investigate, try doing it with just two tasks, say task A and task B, 10 days duration each, linked as predecessor and successor, with one or two resources assigned.

Baseline it, and switch to the tracking Gantt view. Imagine that 6 days have passed. Set the status date to the end of day 6. display the status date on the chart as a vertical red line (gridlines). Update progress on task A. Test the several possibilities. Switch to the tracking table. The several possibilities that have to be accounted for are:

Task A has not yet started. Move the entire task to the status date.

Task A has actually started. It actually started on the scheduled start date/time. It will have some actual duration, anything up to 6 days. If it has less than 6 days actual duration, then the remaining duration must be re-scheduled to the status date. Re-estimate the remaining duration if necessary.

Task A has actually started, but it started on some date/time after the scheduled start, input the actual start date/time. Input the actual duration then repeat as above.

Task A has actually finished. Input both the actual start date/time and the actual finish date/time.

There is no need to enter any % complete. MSP will calculate that from the actual duration and the remaining duration.

Try this all with and without the resources assigned. Then try it without the resources assigned but assign the resources after the progress update.

Friday, March 2, 2018 11:36 PM
  • Julie,

Yeah that's the essence of what happens. However, I invite you to try Trevor's scenarios and see what happens.

John

Saturday, March 3, 2018 12:32 AM
  • Thank you John and Trevor.  I appreciate your responses!

Julie

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:35 PM
  • Julie_K,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If either or both of us answered your question, please consider marking our responses as the answer.

John

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:12 PM