Exchange Roll up's getting pushed to my Exchange servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have WSUS pushing updates to my clients. Exchange Rollups are getting pushed to my exchange servers. I would like to manually install them and not have wsus push them. I do not have update roll ups chosen.  

Below is the settings in wsus

Any suggestions? 

Also, I now have Windows Server 2012 DC's anything diffrent I need to do in WSUS?

Below is the wsus version i think?

Wave~Chaser

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:42 PM

Answers

• I have WSUS pushing updates to my clients. Exchange Rollups are getting pushed to my exchange servers. I would like to manually install them and not have wsus push them. I do not have update roll ups chosen.  

WSUS does not actually push updates. I'm going to assume, however, that by saying that what you actually mean is that you have a Scheduled Installation event on your Exchange Server that is having the Windows Update Agent automatically install the approved Exchange Rollups.

So, the simple fix is to just turn off the scheduled installations and install them manually.

Also, I now have Windows Server 2012 DC's anything diffrent I need to do in WSUS?

Install KB2938066.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:15 PM
  • I do not want Exchange Roll ups to be downloaded and show up in my Exchange servers as an available update. I thought I blocked them as you can see in the screen shots (uncheck rollups) , but I am getting notified they have been downloaded and ready for install. Any suggestions? thx

Wave~Chaser

Some Exchange Rollups are not classified as Rollups, they are classified as Security Updates, and you *are* synchronising those...

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=exchange%202010%20rollup

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:50 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 10:05 PM

All replies

• I have WSUS pushing updates to my clients. Exchange Rollups are getting pushed to my exchange servers. I would like to manually install them and not have wsus push them. I do not have update roll ups chosen.  

WSUS does not actually push updates. I'm going to assume, however, that by saying that what you actually mean is that you have a Scheduled Installation event on your Exchange Server that is having the Windows Update Agent automatically install the approved Exchange Rollups.

So, the simple fix is to just turn off the scheduled installations and install them manually.

Install KB2938066.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:15 PM
  • I do not want Exchange Roll ups to be downloaded and show up in my Exchange servers as an available update. I thought I blocked them as you can see in the screen shots (uncheck rollups) , but I am getting notified they have been downloaded and ready for install. Any suggestions? thx

Wave~Chaser

Monday, January 5, 2015 9:32 PM

Wave~Chaser

Some Exchange Rollups are not classified as Rollups, they are classified as Security Updates, and you *are* synchronising those...

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=exchange%202010%20rollup

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:50 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 10:05 PM
  • Ohh that would explain why they get downloaded thanks! So any suggestions on how to configure WSUS or  GPO to not download Exch rollups? I have 2 Exchange DAG servers and 2 Exchange CAS servers. I thought best practice is to manually install the rollups so I can move databases off the exchange server I am updating with the roll up?

Wave~Chaser

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 4:01 PM
  • Ohh that would explain why they get downloaded thanks! So any suggestions on how to configure WSUS or  GPO to not download Exch rollups? I have 2 Exchange DAG servers and 2 Exchange CAS servers. I thought best practice is to manually install the rollups so I can move databases off the exchange server I am updating with the roll up?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Exchange very much.
    If Exchange patching is something that should be done manually (or with some intervention), then I'd suggest that you reconfigure the WUAgent settings on your Exchange server and set it to "download but don't install", and then you'll need to establish a scheduled task for yourself to periodically logon and do the maintenance manually.

If you are using Domain GP to apply the WUAgent settings, then you would need to vary that, or not apply that, to these servers.

Are the Exchange servers placed in their own OU in your AD ?
    If so, what GPOs do you have linked to that OU?
    If so, what GPOs are inheriting to that OU?
    [you'll need to know that, to work out how to restructure your GPOs to "exempt" these machines]

Don

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:39 PM