Mail Merge from Share Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, seems this questions gets asked a few times but we've haven't seen a solution that solves the problem for us.

We have migrated our mailboxes to Office 365, this includes some shared mailboxes that don't use a license.

We have a business need to send a mail merge from Word using these shared mailboxes.  However, we cannot get the email to be sent from the shared mailbox, it always defaults to the users personal email address.

The shared mailbox is added as an additional account and set as the default account, but still the mail merge is sent from the personal account.  We've tried adding it to the profile without any joy and having a profile with just the shared mailbox isn't an option I believe because it doesn't have it's own licence and is set up in AD differently (so I have been told).

Is there anyway this can be resolved so that with the shared mailbox being set as default, mail merges are sent from this address?

Outlook is being used from the application, not from the website.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi bmac1987,

>> We've tried adding it to the profile without any joy and having a profile with just the shared mailbox isn't an option I believe because it doesn't have it's own licence and is set up in AD differently (so I have been told).

Sorry that here we mainly focus on general issues about Office desktop client. But based on my test, it is supported to add an Office shared mailbox as the only and default account in Outlook. 

I tried the steps below and it works in my side to mail merge from an Office 365 shared mailbox. Please have a go and check the result:

1. Grant the user both Full Access and Send as permission in EAC or using Cmdlet.
    2. Create a new profile via Control Panel, add the shared mailbox as an account. In the add new account dialogue box, enter the shared mailbox address only, click Next:

For more details about the configuration process, you may refer to the article below:

Shared Mailboxes and the Default 'Send From' Account

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

3. When prompted with the password, enter the email address and the password of the user who has been given the permission in Step1, follow the screen to finish the setting up.
    4. Go back to Word, walk through the mail merge procedure, choose the new profile and select the contacts in the shared mailbox account, send out the messages. (You may switch to Offline mode, then turn off it after reviewing the messages in Outbox.)

Hope the above can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.I had a little play around using the link you provided and I got it to work by setting a new profile (which would automatically add my personal account), then removing that account and adding the shared account so that the shared account was the only account left in the profile.  thanks.

• Edited by bmac1987 Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:44 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.I had a little play around using the link you provided and I got it to work by setting a new profile (which would automatically add my personal account), then removing that account and adding the shared account so that the shared account was the only account left in the profile.  thanks.

Hi bmac1987,

Thanks for the update. Then how's it going now? Can you successfully mail merge using the shared account in the new profile? 

If it works, do you mind helping mark the reply above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from our discussion here? If the issue remains, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 15, 2019 8:18 AM