(Sub) site owners can't add users RRS feed

• Question

• I am the original owner/creator of a SharePoint sub-site. I can add users and groups. However, any owners I add who access "People & Groups" and go to the "New" selection/drop down can only create a group and are not given the "Add users" option. This is quite frustrating as I am looking to turn over user admin to someone else.

Best & thanks in advance. Peters

Monday, June 6, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• By default when you create a group in SharePoint it defaults to settings where only the user can add members to the group.  You need to go into the settings of the group and either change that or change the ownership of the group to point at a group of users.  I prefer the second option because the first tends to let too many people manage the membership of the group.  Since you are the only one who can currently add users to the existing groups your new owners can only create their own groups, not manage the ones you already created.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:31 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi P J V,

Looks to me those users with 'Owner' Privilege are trying to add members to a group that you own? Is there some groups you created with that sub-site (or created automatically with site creation). If that's the case check if you can simply change the group ownership and they should be able to add members.

Say you created a group 'sub site owners' it automatically make you the owner of that group - from my experience I find someone else with the owner privilege (at site level) even can't add members to that group. What I do to get around that when creating a group I assign the group ownship to another group (say site collection owners). This works for me i.e. everyone from the Site Collection Owners group can add/ remove users to teh Sub Site Owner's group.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
  • By default when you create a group in SharePoint it defaults to settings where only the user can add members to the group.  You need to go into the settings of the group and either change that or change the ownership of the group to point at a group of users.  I prefer the second option because the first tends to let too many people manage the membership of the group.  Since you are the only one who can currently add users to the existing groups your new owners can only create their own groups, not manage the ones you already created.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:31 AM