How can I open .hlp help files which are located on a network shared drive in my local Win 7 64bit workstation RRS feed

• Question

• My Question :

How can I open .hlp help files which are located on a network shared drive in my local Win 7 (64bit) workstation ?

Even after executing/implementing the Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu,  I am still not able to open the .hlp help files which are located on a network shared folder/drive, but able to open local stored help files. 

Please suggest..  Waiting for reply/answer.

You can also mail me the solution to suresh . gajam @ colruyt . in   (Ignore the spaces in between)

Thanks,
    Suresh.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is a known issue of WinHlp32.exe update.

Cannot access .hlp files that are stored on intranet sites

By default, you cannot use WinHlp32.exe to access .hlp files that are stored on intranet sites. If you try to open a remote file, you will receive the following error message:

Cannot display this help file. Try opening the help file again, and if you still get this message, copy the help file to a different drive, and try again.

If you need to access .hlp files that are stored on intranet sites, you can unblock them by using the group policies workaround or registry workaround that is described in the " Registry entries and group policies for network administrators " section.

For more information, see:

I cannot open Help that was created in the Windows Help format (WinHlp32.exe)

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:12 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:22 AM

All replies

• So you install function that allows you to read help file locally? How do you use remote shared folder, like UNC or mapped drive? What permission do you have on remote shared folder?

Rgds

Milos

PS: For security reason never publish your personal e-mail address.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

It is a known issue of WinHlp32.exe update.

Cannot access .hlp files that are stored on intranet sites

By default, you cannot use WinHlp32.exe to access .hlp files that are stored on intranet sites. If you try to open a remote file, you will receive the following error message:

Cannot display this help file. Try opening the help file again, and if you still get this message, copy the help file to a different drive, and try again.

If you need to access .hlp files that are stored on intranet sites, you can unblock them by using the group policies workaround or registry workaround that is described in the " Registry entries and group policies for network administrators " section.

For more information, see:

I cannot open Help that was created in the Windows Help format (WinHlp32.exe)

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:12 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

Open regedit.exe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ ZoneMap \ ProtocolDefaults 

Change FILE = 3 to FILE = 1 or 0

==================

http://greatit.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/the-case-of-winhlp32-on-windows-2008-r2/

==================

Rgds,

Samir M. Morimoto

SamirMMBr

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:01 PM